Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu and Bohol now in state of calamity due to lack of water from El Niño

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Joke na lang.

I do agree with you. Once you need to start managing water then probably the first step is to attach a value to it.

I wonder if these water issues are going to become a new normal. I have felt it at my place as well. Since these water issues, my water pressure has gone to crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,751 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If you own or are planning on building your home a well is something to look into; if not your primary water source at least as a back up. Where we are the city water pressure was bad so when we built I did not even bring in city water; a well, pump and elevated tank provides enough water pressure. With a float switch controlling the electric pump you really don't have to think about much other than changing the filter every couple of months.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    All water companies in the Philippines are privately owned and all the rules and regulations are written by the water companies themselves another form of Philippine corruption.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Our two wells are owned by the municiple and are not well managed,one of them was damaged by an earthquake in 2012 and too expensive to fix so we are told!
    At the moment we get running water for 4-5 hrs a day which fills the tank which is all well when it lasts. I hope it does not get any worse.

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Can you imagine what you could do if you could control the water supply... Gold, you do not have enough GOLD to by the last liter of water available on earth.... Food, without water most food supplies would dry up (Did you know that 5,000 litres of water is required to produce one kg of rice?) So forget cornering Gold, re-estate or some other commodity.. Water is the "THING". Just a little perspective, and some people are working on this issue all the time... the greed of controlling water, that is like setting up a conceptual carbon credit program and trading in carbon credits. :smile: (Is Al Gorey a member of this forum?) :wtf:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes. NESTLES owns quite a bit of the major mountain springs in California. So while the underground aquifers are being pumped dry, when they are all used up by the public water companies and the farmers, then NESTLES can come along and sell their spring water for drinking water.

Not sure where the farmers are going to get their water - guess the Valley that feeds 1/3 of California (and more) will become the Dust Bowl.

Oh, sorry. They are already doing this. Think Arrowhead - the bottled brand water.

Nestle drawing millions of gallons of California water on expired permit, suit claims

Nestle Pays Only $524 To Extract 27,000,000 Gallons Of California Drinking Water

Yep. Hope this way of doing business and making cororate profits doesn't come your way, though it sounds like something similar could very well be happen or be happening in your region, too.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you?

Variations on a theme?

nwlivewire

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Sound like NESTLES is trying the same thing in Oregon: Nestlé's Plans to Suck Water From Drought-Ravaged Oregon

So is NESTLES is trying to be follow the Gorey trail of Carbon Credits or is Al Gore trying to follow the NESTLES' trail to water control... I think we will get screwed if either succeed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Don't know if Gore or "Gore thinking" has anything to do with this water for profit development, but this business (corporate) way of making money is about the fact they can take a basic necessity for life, "buy" it, and make people go to their last penny to have it. I'm thinking: since when does such a basic need (like water) become something solely controlled by a non-entity? Is buying fresh, clean air the next "big thing" people have to look forward to as a daily purchase - or die?

Although I can't put my finger on it to specifically say WHY, I'm very uneasy with this Nestles and Oregon water thing. The majority of people around these parts do NOT want Nestles to be there in this manner. They know what Nestles has done in the past to other areas they have gone into with these types of water "deals" - and they know what the outcomes have been. And while Nestles is hanging out a tempting "morsel" of jobs (under 100 jobs for this region) at the end of their "hook", many locals in that area are not very keen to take their bait. The propanda wars are raging there, with Nestles and anti-Nestles sides heavily invested in the outcomes in who has the rights to control such a basic need and at what costs to themselves, to others, and to the environment? Who really benefits from this Nestles "deal"? Does anyone (other than Nestles)?

(I'm curious about the Native American tribes who live in this area and have recognized tribal fishing rights there. Wonder what they have to say about this "Corporate White Man" deal?)

Like I wrote above, I hope this doesn't come to your neighborhood soon, though it appears there is already the makings of a variation on a theme already there - "Philippine-style".

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Food, medicines, doctors/nurses, natural gas, gasoline, electricity.....purchase it daily or die. Not all those things are needed by every person to survive but some would certainly die if they didn't purchase it daily. I admire the person who first thought of bottling tap water, giving it a Native American, "nature" related, "spring water" or a foreign sounding brand name and then selling it at a 1000% markup. Absolutely genius on their part, the people buying it on the other hand.....:drool:
    People who think bottled water is somehow "special" or better than tap water? I don't think Nestles is evil, they are just providing a product that, apparently, a whole lot of people want:

Water[edit]
    So is it Nestles or stupidity that's to blame?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Perhaps it's not a matter of stupidity or blame that is at issue here, but a matter of balance. I think what may be at question in this resource issue MAY turn on what is considered by most people to be a resource that belongs in the realm or category of belonging to "the commons". See below for a further explaination of this concept of "the commons":

What, Really, is the Commons? by Jay Walljasper : Articles : Terrain.org

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1