Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu and Bohol now in state of calamity due to lack of water from El Niño

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    I agree with the previous commenter that suggests water is like gold and it is worthwhile getting into. Without naming names there is a foreigner who has drilled down to the water table here on Siquijor who charges P150 per cubic metre for the locals. That's disgraceful imo, the poor folks of the baranguay can barely afford it if you factor in travel and haulage - sometimes it works out at more than P15 per gallon jerry can.

So I turned my thoughts to this on the last trip. We have some land that sits above an Australian surveyed water table. There is plenty of water there. So I have started drilling. The plan is to undercut said foreigner who supplies the resorts and allow the locals to draw water at cost + salary for the groundsman/upkeep etc. We've worked it out at roughly P2-5 per gallon jerry can. We will profit on the resort supply.

Call me a fool for not picking up on the profit where it is to be made, but such charges really stick in my craw for a natural resource. I'll never be a millionaire for sure, and my competitor-rival certainly is not one - most of the locals speak of him in disparaging tones. I'd rather have the good will of the locals, the knowledge that I am supplying a reasonable service without profiteering and the satisfaction for a good job done.

Cheers,

C

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Unfortunately I believe it is he who has the best lawyer money can buy will win... :frown:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sounds like you are finding a balance that will reward you with gallons and gallons of goodwill!

Good job - and good thinking. Creating a win-win works every time.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Are you sure there are no local officials getting a cut from the other guy's sales? When they come to you to find out why their cut is getting so small you will find out so be sure to let us know.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199

Yeah, no problems, all covered. Not the most popular neighbour in the baranguay...rellies are baranguay Capts etc, I have my ear to the ground. Cheers for pointing the risks out though.

C

• Like Like x 3
  6. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Good, watch your 6, people get funny when there is :greedy: involved!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Whilst I know it would cost a Lot (but money not Wasted) I am so very surprised that the Administration have not investigated "Desalination Plants" With 7000+ Islands Water is one thing that this Country has Plenty of. It just needs Converting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Fairly expensive original outlay and continued maintenance to keep system working. Plus most waters close to shore are so polluted they are basically unusable or require additional purification before it is usable.

I have a mate in Australia who invented a portable water desalinization and purification system for use on his cattle ranch for brackish water so he could get drinkable water for the ranch hands and cattle to drink. The cost to purchase the system he invented in Australia was AUD $10,000 per unit plus the cost of replacement filters/membranes etc. I know of 1 hotel in Angeles City, Pampanga that is using that system with it's well water and is not using city water anymore. They acquired the system for a fraction of actual cost after the Aussie fellow brought it to the PI to Demonstrate it and try to sell it to Cities/municipalities but fell on hard times when it didn't pan out for him...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Very expensive to run those desalination plants,a great option for this country though but again it all boils down to who pays and where does the cash come from to build and run them? I'm sure with this elnino drought going on there are so many places without water or on limited supplies.
    Until the main part of the population start to stand up for what is right and actually complain nowt will ever be done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, traditional desalinization plants are very expensive to build and operate but my mate from Oz. made one that is basically portable and easily set up for neighborhood use and was very cost effective compared to the traditional desalinization plants. Problem is the people with the purse strings here were not interested because they couldn't' figure out an easy way to make it profitable for themselves. It seems nobody in charge gives a d*mn about their fellow Filipino's unless there is money to be made! (not that it's anything new but my Aussie mate didn't know that and it cost him dearly)

• Agree Agree x 2