Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu Cebu to Dumaguete Ceres Liner Bus Schedule

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Travel Guide, Nov 1, 2006.

1. siscarla2nd

siscarla2nd DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks....

is there a faster way to get to dumaguete? my flight will arrive at around 5PM in Cebu so, i'll be in dumaguete late in the evening with the 4-5hours travel...

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

The air con buses that ply the Duma/Cebu route are not a bad ride, in my opinion. The seats are comfy, there are sights to see, and their is no problem with luggage, have the conductor put it in the compartments under the bus.

You can also take one of the fast ferries. Time wise is about 3.5 to 4 hours. Price is about P700 each. However, personally I find dealing with the port and porters much more stressful than at the bus station.

Other opinions may vary.

Larry.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You can take one of the fast ferries. There are only a couple of trips per day, the travel time is 3.5 to 4 hours, and there are certainly none departing after 5 PM.

We travel this route 20-30 times per year, and now will only do it by the AC Ceres bus. Overall, it is the best means between the two cities. in our opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Larry

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Just curious, if you are flying into Cebu, why you did not choose to fly directly into Dumaguete instead?

For about P2000, you can fly direct from Manila into Dumaguete and bypass Cebu altogether.

Larry

5. siscarla2nd

siscarla2nd DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my only intention is to go to sinulog thus getting booked directly to cebu, but hotel room rates in cebu are expensive and i can't find a hotel that offers single bedspace. going to dumaguete is just my second option if i won't be able to find nice cheap hotel in cebu. where in dumaguete, single bedroom only costs 500/night. also, i want to spend a day in the boulevard in dumaguete....then go back to cebu.:smile:
    if you can direct me to a nice cheap hotel in cebu, i'll be glad to.:smile:

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Yes, your luggage will be put in one area, where the porters will fight over it to see who gets to carry the luggage for the tourista, and then charge P30-P60 per piece to carry it for 40 feet, then want more to carry it any farther.

THEN one gets to fight their way through the throng of pedicab drivers who will happily take you to the WhyNot for P50.

This for me is the big turnoff forf taking the boat, (besides it costs 3 times as much). I find the AC bus much less stressful.

Larry

7. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I very reluctantly agree with those who prefer the bus over the boat. I prefer the "romance" of a sea voyage but the porters are rapidly becoming a royal pain in the butt. I have been held hostage to their avarice for about the last time.

My wife and I have come to a couple of compromises as she just wants to get there and back and is not too terribly intrigued by the sea voyage. If I insist, she does too. Boat from Dumaguete to Cebu and a bus back. The return trip finds us laded with parcels of things we somehow acquired there. Quelle surprise!

Another hint is to take a a pedicab directly to the port at Sibulan. There is ferry service at least every half-hour during the day to Santander on Cebu. A Ceres "AIRCON" meets each arrival. The total cost to Cebu city is about the same and the total time to the fleshpots ,er, shopping of Cebu is as fast or faster.

I get my sea voyage and my wife is delighted.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Sorry, your post confused me. Are you saying the cost to take the fast craft to Lilo-an (Santander) and then the AC bus to Cebu, is roughly the same cost as taking the fast craft from Duma to Cebu?

The last time i took the bus (2 weeks ago) the total cost was around P230 each. The last time I took the boat all the way (3 years ago?) it cost somewehere near P700.

Please enlighten me.

Larry

9. Stefan

Stefan DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Iwould say SCARY period. Even in daytime..

I once took the bus from Cebu City to the southest part of Cebu Island to a place called Oslob. The bus driver where smoking pot the gas pedal had only two places to go.. fully down or fully up. The bus was a salvage from the 50thies leaving a thick trail of black smoke after it.
    no windows.. People on the bus bringing a goat ?! some older woman with a chicken in her knee others eating there lunch.... people crossing them selves before the journey started. ...

Well I survived but will never forget that 4hrs bus trip sometimes looking down the cliffs next to the ocean 20 meters down.

So riding a bus in the phil's can be a verry strange experience..

Way far from our europeean arconditioned busses with relaxing music and toilets and TV screens.

In some perverse way I do not regret the experience I had.. it was one of the lookback highlights of my 8 weeks visit in the Cebu region.

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    In reply to "shadow" #69; the cost of the Sibulan "shortcut" route is about the same as the bus-ferry-bus from Dumaguete to Cebu. It's just more convenient (for us).