Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Ceiling insulation

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Aotearoa, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Aotearoa

Aotearoa DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick question. We are building a small house and are wanting to know if anyone has had experience purchasing ceiling insulation in Dumaguete or Tanjay area to reduce ambient heat from the roof to reduce power costs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,975 / 1,085
    I insulated and without a doubt it helps cut down on the heat. Cannot come up with a percentage as far as advantage, but do know without it, we surely would of had regrets. So many factors would come to play also as in size of home, height of ceiling, side ventilations etc. Every one would have a different result. Here is a link that is extensive on the subject.
    https://myphilippinelife.com/cool-roof-philippines-metal-roofs-and-cool-buildings-in-the-tropics/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Aotearoa

Aotearoa DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Thanks, very helpful. It's amazing how few people we have spoken to around where we are building have even considered insulation and don't know where to access the materials, including an architect!

4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,361 / 1,256
    A cheap effective insulation is rice hulls (husks).
    Ask @DAVE1952 he has good information.

5. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I built a small house and the whole unit is insulated, the walls were constructed using metal GI steel studs clad with Hardieflex and the cavity in between was filled with Rice Hulls just as SP said, I also used a High Grade uPVC (Imac roofing) for my roof panels and the heat transfer through them are likely to be 90% less than through metal sheets, it also helps to have them light coloured my roof is a light shade of cream {using Tin on roofs in Dark colours is just fecking dumb to me) there is no insulation on the underside of these sheets this is not required, but just to be sure about this, above the actual house ceilings is a 2inch layer of Rice Hulls, which meet the US building code for an insulation material. One bag of Hulls cost P60 delivered and will cover an area of 8x4ft at 2inch in depth.

Venting the Attic at a high point allows the hot air to escape from it.

If you have or intend to build with useless CHB as most people do? you will find these take up a lot of heat during the day, in the evening when it gets cooler these are still giving off that heat and continue this well into the night, added to that, most people killed in an earthquake are most likely to have been struck with falling masonry, CHB construction and especially the way that most houses are built in these present times are not very resilient in a Quake.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.

Attached Files:

7. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Above you will see an example of a vented roof, a few openings in the eaves are not adequate in my opinion?

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I had insulation installed for my 2 bedroom apartment. It reduced my aircon bill around 20-30%. Before installation it was getting brutally hot inside without aircon, middle east 50° hot. My smart bulbs were even shutting off and/or breaking due to overheating.

I'm not sure what kind of insulation was used, the landlord took care of buying and installing it, but it is the type with the reflective silver lining on both sides. Price including installation was P12k for a two bedroom.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    If you are still with that landlord, would it be possible to find out the name of the installers as I am sure many here would like to buy this insulation system that soon pays for itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    If what you are describing is the READILY available foam insulation with either one or both sides coated with foil, this comes in 5 and 10mm thicknesses, after time all foam material breaks down with the heat and turns to dust. Know of someone who bought the one-sided foil coated foam insulation, had this installed in his new build just under the roof sheets, with the foil on the topside to reflect the heat upwards, after 3yrs only the foil was left, all the foam having turned to dust, all his roofing had to be taken off, the insulation replaced with Rockwool and new steel sheeting installed.

Rockwool or Mineral wool is available if you hunt for it, a place to try is Zenith or the sister company Jay marketing, in my opinion any insulation material that is a mere 10mm in thickness cannot be all that effective and not worth the time and effort to install, perhaps in your case the foil was the improved factor? the very minimum required for effective insulation is 50mm, 100mm is better still.

• Informative Informative x 4