Dumaguete Info Search

Changing registration to my name

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by koolaukid, May 14, 2021.

1. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    I have done the process twice, firstly in 2016 when I signed my bike to my then GF and 2019 when I bought a bike from an expat who was leaving. Both times the cost was 1,000p from 2 different attorneys (neither Ramacho). As to Nathan Ramacho I retained him on a possible land purchase which fell through at 11th hour when the seller withdrew from the deal. Notwithstanding spending over an hour with me and doing some work with the seller, he charged me nothing. I am sure he was confident of getting my business when I do eventually secure a lot but still, his actions were not that of a bloodsucker. Good luck with the remaining process. Mine was terribly difficult especially as the expat had lost all his papers. Hopefully, you have all the past papers from the owner and your experience will be easier than mine but there were a few times during my process I tossed upon whether to simply leave the bike at the highway patrol to rot away and not continue the process to put it into my name. Certainly, I vowed not to do that again. Please let us know of the outcome and good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have a bike that is sitting around rotting because of a registration issue that absolutely cannot be fixed. I will just take it to the dump or part it out for a few pesos eventually. Luckily I got many years of use out of it before the issue came about.

A lesson learned; transfer the name as soon as you can. If the person you bought it from loses a lawsuit and can't pay they can have all their vehicle registrations frozen and a deed of sale pre-dating the lawsuit will not convince the sheriff to have the LTO release the vehicle to you. (Maybe I could fight it in court and have a judgement go my way but would a 10k peso scooter be worth the cost/risk?)

3. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
  4. OP
    OP
    koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3

Thank you for your response. I had pretty much resigned myself to having been taken advantage of (yet again). It's one of those things that is a recurring annoyance and my patience for it has been wearing short of late. It's the same thing that ultimately chased me out of Thailand so I'm sensitive. Even though it's a nominal sum, it was something that was bothering me through the day. So I'm glad to hear that either I paid an appropriate amount or that I've company. :-)

I did get the registration process completed today. I had received a private message from another member who walked me through the process from his own experience. Much appreciated. As is so common here, my experience wasn't exactly the same as his but close enough to head me in the right direction. I got the serial numbers copied, secured insurance and made the appropriate copies. From there, I was notified I needed "confirmation" from the LTO because the previous registration was done in Bacolod, a different region than Dumaguete. I was also informed that I would need to have the bike inspected at the police station. Fortunately when I got to the LTO I met someone I knew and he waived all of that. It's always interesting to have so many variations to what should be a standard routine. It's also pleasant when things get easier because of "who you know". I'm not going to say more on a public forum but the process seems to be complete except for the waiting period for my or/cr to be created. The lesson I learned is to either buy new or buy from a dealer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Safest option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    What are the advantages of changing the registration? With he old papers you can just renew every year, why bother? Or is this a bike you ant to sell one day?

Would not bother at all, like most locals dont bother. 'Just have a notary public do the selling papers and it is yours. (sorry, using the wrong names for sure for all the papers)

I would make sure it is registered yearly with his insurance comes with it. It is just not in your name.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's what I'v done with my car, had the car over 4 years no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    Same here with my toy truck and old Yamaha bike. As long as you got the owners papers, not worth my time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's fine until the previous owner loses a lawsuit and has his assets frozen by the LTO for not paying the court order. The deed of sale pre-dating any lawsuit will not save you. I have experienced this first hand. Hired an attorney to fight it to no avail. Only way to get the bike released is to negotiate with the winner of the lawsuit. You will have no leg to stand on during negotiations as you either agree to their terms or the court will order you too turn it over to them or go to jail for contempt.

Another situation I could see happening is with the previous owner dying and their surviving family looking up their assets with the LTO and trying to come collect. Would a deed of sale save you in that situation?

I thought it would help in the previous situation but the court threw it out the window. The way the court worded what a deed of sale actually is was surprising to me. I'll see if I can find the document tomorrow but, if I remember correctly, it said (paraphrasing) that a deed of sale is only a precursor to the sale. The completion of the sale happens when the registration is updated. No registration name change = incomplete contract/sale.

Transfer your registrations. If you don't you are paying with fire.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    He is dead, and from Cebu. If his surviving family wish to collect my car they can have it, Pajero 1990. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2