Dumaguete Info Search

Cheap Phones - Are they a good deal?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, May 3, 2016.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Please note that a Feature phone is a different breed and almost extinct, it is not actually a smart phone although they used small amounts of data. Service providers didn't like that people were getting even small amounts of data without a data plan.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I bought a Chinese Lenovo ( New cheap Lenovo 4G model MTK6592 Octa Core 2GB RAM 5.0'' 1920x1080px Dual SIM WCDMA 13MP Camera 16G ROM Android4.4 ) or so the specs say. Had it 2 years has never given me a problem and battery lasts 2 to 3 days with normal use. In the mean time my wife has had several phones which she says are rubbish, or is it how they are used. I always make sure there is enough RAM on a phone or pc, otherwise everything will slow or freeze. I use Chrome, as it allows me to synchronise my my phone and all my pc's and laptops. I also have virus guard on my phone. Don't know if this is really necessary, but my thinking is if all my computing is synchronised maybe my phone would be a weak link. Maybe a techy can advise if I'm right or wrong, not really a geek, but trying.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Define "normal use". I'd bet my "normal use" would drain your phone in less than half a day. :wink:
    Sorry, what I should have been saying was "flagship phone".

4. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I don't think you need worry about your phone being a weak link unless you bank from it. I actually did wire myself some money from my phone while in the Philippines but I was on 4G and not using anyone's wifi. A calculated risk.

I like the build quality of Lenovo phones. They have pretty good quality cameras judging by the A720 that I owned, too bad that many of their phones being sold to the world are limited in frequencies so check carefully if it will work where you are or where you will be before you buy one. I like Lenovo's additions to Android as they seem useful but don't get in the way. Not like an Asus Zenphone where I would probably shout at it and say no, I don't want you to do that, why can't you just be a phone?

5. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree, most of the time my phone is on standby and I'm only making a dozen calls and texts a day. I don't use it for internet, as I find the screens too small, so I wait until I get home and use my laptop.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've had several Lenovo products (laptops and cellphones) and I haven't had too many complaints. One of their cheaper phones my x had used a very strange internal memory setup.....for some reason it had two "partitions" of sorts (around 2GB on each partition), it was very strange and very inconvenient. I also have a laptop (a Yoga 2 Pro), I really liked that computer but something went wrong and it won't charge right now. (I think it could easily be resolved at a computer shop though.)

As for banking on a phone.....if your bank doesn't have SSL (https) with their online banking pages there is something seriously wrong with your bank and you should stop using it immediately. Wouldn't really matter if you are on someone else's WiFi or not as long as they are using SSL (along with some other security measures/spoof protection on the site). It is possible for someone to install a keylogger on a cellphone and have it (somewhat) hidden and running in the background. I would be more concerned about that than a MITM attack.

My Nexus 5x gets about 17 hours of call time and can be on standby for 300 hours. Android Marshmallow greatly improved the way it handles apps that wake up the phone when it is on idle (even when the screen is still off) and allows users to restrict background data on a per app basis (something that could only be done with a rooted phone on previous releases). Screen on time is the number 1 killer of a batter, followed by processor heavy apps (usually games) and then apps that use a lot of network/radio resources. If a smartphone is just being used for calls/SMS it should last at least 2 days regardless of the make/model.....if it doesn't it there is something running in the background that shouldn't be.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Sorry, what I should have been saying was "flagship phone".[/QUOTE]

Yes the Samsung Galaxy S was a flagship phone at one time with 1gb ram and 1ghz single core processor. 5mp camera too, it was extremely advanced. They called it 4g but really it was fast 3g HSPA+. It got the massive update from android frozen yogurt to gingerbread eventually up to 2.3.6. About the only thing someone might really admire on it is the amoled screen these days and it's battery life.

I appreciate a good screen on a device but I don't need a 4k screen anything over 300 points per inch is fine for me. I think I may get a Huawei Mediapad M2 mostly because it has a nice screen decent battery life, better sound, compatible with all Philippine carriers 2G 3G 4G LTE if you get the correct model and an 8 inch screen 1920 X 1200. It has an 8mp camera that isn't a joke to use as the camera on many tablets are. It also has an octacore processor that I don't need and runs on Lolipop 5.0 where I would be happier if it had the old quad core processor and ran on android 4.4. I believe it would have much better battery life. It's about $300 USD.

I could probably squeeze by with a Cube T8 or Talk 8 the low spec one as it has all the freqs for Globe and Smart, 1200 X 800 8 inch screen and a 1.3 ghz quad core processor running on android 5.1 for $87 USD. Not a bad screen, it's at least as sharp as the one I'm staring at right now. Some ear buds are probably a good idea with this one as I wouldn't expect much from the speaker. That is a lot of functionality for not a lot of money. There is a model with a better screen and octacore processor for maybe $40 more but it's missing some frequencies for the Philippines. I would pick connectivity over a better screen any day. Calls, texts and entertainment system when on a long bus or ferry ride. Nothing more I could ask of the devices that I don't already have other devices that can do it better. I think you can get a lot of bang for your money on some cheap devices but you have to shop carefully, there are some gotchas out there.

Just for the heck of it I will list the frequencies I pulled off the web for Globe and Smart.

Globe 900 and 1800 for 2G.................. Smart 900 and 1800 for 2G
    900 and 2100 for 3G.......................... 850 and 2100 for 3G
    1800 and 2600 LTE......................... 850, 1800, 2100 LTE

Maybe this will help someone in the future.