Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Check In When You Can

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Different experiences and I feel sorry for those still waiting to get power back (and perhaps water) - my electricity was off for four days but I feel so lucky. Seeing people who lost everything, reading of the two patients drowned in the ambulance at Bais, realising that many are going to be suffering for months and I have nothing to complain about. I was not in the best place at the right time but I was not in the worst place either - I count my Blessings.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Merry Christmas. Power came back at 4:20pm yesterday, after Noreco fixed the down lines. Overall, Noreco performed great in this disaster.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Merry Christmas, just got power back on Christmas day 3 hours ago. Beer already in the fridge.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is like this because they do not demand better from their politicians/government. They vote for the same ol' political dynasties that have always, and will always, rob and abuse the Filipino people. Much like domestic violence, the cycle of abuse continues.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But politicians are flying in to get pictures of them handing out what little relief goods were already here and already going to be handed out. Nevermind that their visits take away government, police and military resources to protect and cater to them. That's got to count for something...right?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Finally checking in. Dec.26. Flood hit Tanjay almost waste deep at road level. Many near the River areas lost entire homes not solidly built. 7 days no power. Took about a 70,000 peso loss in items in one of my homes (which is not a great loss considering) Went for a road run to Bais City and it really is a disaster there. Appears closer to being wiped of the Map. Will be a long time to clean that City up. Debris is equally piled up on every street and took one of the highest death tolls.

Sadly on Christmas day a Noreco Employee was electrocuted atop a pole amist repair and did loose his life.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It doesn't really matter how they got here. They've made it perfectly clear that foreigners have no say in the way politics play out in the Philippines, simply being in the vicinity of a protest can get us deported. They can only blame themselves for the politicians they elect and only they can break the cycle of abuse that has been established. I hope they can figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The ATM thing is a pain. I am guessing no credit/debit card readers are working either. Should have got cash prior to the typhoon. Luckily I had over P5k in change laying around the house. Should hold me off until the ATMs are back up.

Dogs thrilled about it since I had a stockpile of chicken and bacon in the ref and freezer, they are eating awesome. I'm not so thrilled about this forced carnivore diet.

Still no Globe in Valencia. Smart SIM in the car is working well. Just chilling (with the aircon) in the car a couple times a day. Charging phone and laptops at in the car and in bars.

Our compound and surrounding area's electrical here in Valencia (West Balabag) took a beating. Lots of trees down on power lines. Will probably be a week before it gets fixed. We have water but may be running on tank reserves.

Took a drive up the mountain yesterday (above the cell towers...went to check if they were still standing) and it is pretty rough up there. Going to be awhile before they get back to 'pandemic normal'.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Gomez street and that area behind Paddy's have no eletricity, massive damage on electric cabels, most down on the ground, they have water. I live next to Gomez street on the beach, we have electric and water, no wifi, technician been here, maybe next year wifi will be back, I just get a prepaid Globe wifi router, it works well for now, live in area where signal from both Globe and Smart is on/off, but happy with the prepaid router, wifi is important, connection to family and friends and what's going on in the world outside the barangay

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    You are right to criticize the Philippine method of typhoon (hurricane) warning. In the Philippines the projected storm damage is communicated differently than in the USA. The Philippine system is more complex and as a result hardly any warning gets communicated.

In the USA hurricanes (typhoons) are categorized (1-5) based on the power of the storm. There is little detail of how bad the storm will be in different locations. Only the full strength of the storm is reported. This has the result of scaring the s^!t out of everyone. Even those who are not near the path of the hurricane. Looking back this is a good thing.

In the Philippines there is an attempt to categorize how bad the typhoon will be in different locations. The signals (1-5) are assigned to specific areas based on geography and how far away from the path of the typhoon. The intensity of Philippine signals (1-5) and US categories (1-5) are very similar. The only difference is that signals are based on location and categories are based on the strength of the storm.

Officially at the last minute, Cebu was signal 4, and Dumaguete signal 3. Bayawan was signal 3 (should have been 4) because it was on the windward side of the mountains.

The strength of Odette was accurately forecasted 6 days prior to landfall as a category 4. At that time it was expected to make a direct hit on Dumaguete. Technically when it made landfall on Mindanao it broke the threshold of a category 5. The problem is that it is easier to predict the intensity of the storm but not the path. Because signals are based on the location of the path, the forecasters had to wait until it got closer and the path was more accurately predictable. This essentially puts off the signal notice until the last moment.

The signal system is too complex. Better to just scare the s^!t out of everyone with the maximum intensity of the hurricane.

• Informative Informative x 2