Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Chicken Sushi

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I would not agree with that opinion: "...But even there (Japan), people have been cautioned against taking a bite of undercooked chicken. In July, Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare warned that food poisoning is a serious risk of eating raw chicken, and asked restaurants to revaluate their preparation practices—requesting chicken meat be cooked to a 75-degree internal temperature before it's served—in order to make it safer to ingest..... Chicken sashimi is often prepared by boiling or searing chicken for no more than 10 seconds, "which is an insufficient treatment to kill harmful microbes such as campylobacter and salmonella … on raw poultry," says Michael Doyle, regents professor of food microbiology at the University of Georgia's Center for Food Safety.

According to the ministry, campylobacter, a bacteria often found in the intestines of the chickens, is the culprit behind raw-chicken-related food poisoning. The bacteria is believed responsible for 60 percent of all bacterial food poisoning cases in Japan, according to the national newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

And, as Doyle says, campylobacter isn’t the only concern around the dish. Salmonella can be a problem as well."

I think I will stay clear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Who in their right mind eats raw chicken!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Also when I make chicken at home, cupboard and tools go to the dish, I don't use same for vegetables and transfer salmonella or campylobacter that way

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I know you can buy a chicken which is tested for different kinds of infection like salmonella and other nasty things

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have a good friend who gets salmonella poison, 3 months in hospital, lost 20 kilo, normal weight 80 kg, took him a year to recover from that salmonella poison, I like chicken, if good quality, but eat it raw or not 100% cooked, I will never touch it

• Agree Agree x 2