Dumaguete Info Search

Clamp down on motorbike helmets coming?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by OzeMike, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Re. potential accident: My insurance company advises that police report is high importance for them. (I was asking only in anticipation.) I always buy the maximum for my 125cc bike.

2. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think that better perception of what's going on around you is more useful than a helmet, in the city.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No, there are going to be things that come out of blind spots and/or happen faster than human reaction times are capable of dealing with no matter if you have a helmet or not. Helmets (and to a lessor extent, other motorcycle safety gear) save far more lives than they have ever taken. It is an undeniable fact. You can try to justify not wearing gear all you like, but it doesn't change that fact.

Note: Again, I don't care if you wear gear or not. That's your choice. I just don't like false information about safety gear, that could influence others into riding less safe, being spread. Helmet and other safety gear WILL save your life. It might not be as comfortable or as "cool" to wear, but that doesn't make riding without safer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Agreed. But it is also an undeniable fact that living in the USA, near a good hospital, with good insurance, will save far more lives than moving to Dumaguete, Philippines. And yet we have the choice to move here. The only justification is we like it and we are not affecting anyone other than ourselves. The choice to wear a helmet should be the same, so long as it is not affecting anyone other than ourselves. IMHO.

It is also my opinion that I prefer it when others do not wear helmets for two reasons. In an accident where they run into my car with their motorcycle, their helmetless bodies are likely to do less damage to my car and the incident will cost me less money as they will likely be dead and thus unable to avoid the blame. Darwin's law (survival of the fittest) at work.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No source to back this up but I think that there could be more lethal motorcycle accidents (per motorcycle accident) in the US due to the higher road speeds and drivers not being on the lookout for motorcycles. There are some things that even the best doctors in the world can't fix.

Agree, but spreading false information can lead others to make uninformed decisions. I used to never wear a helmet because I believed that "limited field of view"/"helmets are a distraction" nonsense...and it is just that, complete and total nonsense. Luckily I came to my senses prior to my accident. A helmet saved my life (or, at the very least, saved me from severe head trauma that could have taken months/years to recover from, if ever, and millions of pesos in hospital bills).

• Like Like x 3
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Here they see you and they just don't care. They think they are in a car, suv, truck so as they are safer the roads belong to them and they couldn't care less about hitting a motorcycle other then it might scratch their paint. Earlier today I was turning left through a long slow line of traffic where there was a gap due to a trike and motorcycle and even though they were crawling at maybe 15kmph I snuck in and the suv was being really stubborn to give me a couple feet of extra safety space even though wouldn't effect them (this was near hypermart btw). I looked right at the driver who was staring right back at me and he didn't stop until I gave him a threatening look as if he dared hit me I'd beat the life out of him (not gonna kill me at a 15kmph crawl by bumping me).

7. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    what about Bacong and Dauin? will they implement the helmet / dressing law, too? the extremely noisy mufflers are still common here...

• Genius Genius x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We are all hoping but have doubts the way the powers that be operate. Politics and votes matter.

9. Barry Willingham

Barry Willingham DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 3
    Teaching them to follow the basic rules of the road would do more good than anything right now.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Won't make a difference, they simply do not care.

Instead put out half a dozen PNP on fast motorcycles (with full tanks) rotating shifts and start chasing down and arresting these individuals. Driving reckless, no headlights/taillights, along with lacking registration and proper license start with major fines but 100% of the time the motorcycle should be impounded and held for maximum of 1 week to pay off heavy fine at which at the end the motor will either be auctioned or destroyed. Same can apply to cars and trucks. They could even sell tickets to watch the destruction of said motorcycles and I know I'd pay some cash to go and watch!