Dumaguete Info Search

Clear Water Revival

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I am not sure what the effect will be in this area, but there is an El Niño due late this year and into 2024. If it is prolonged then it would affect water table levels, plus small streams and possibly larger rivers. Perhaps if severe, it might affect piped water supplies.

It is one of those events we cannot prevent but only prepare for.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Here's a question, how trustworthy is the long term use of desalinated water? surely when surrounded by sea this would be an option?

3. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Desalination has pros and cons. It uses a lot of energy - and I suppose you would not rate this country for stable energy supplies! In fact, they had to cancel flights this week from NAIA due to power cuts and the whole of the Visayas was under threat last week - Panay still is. Also, desalination produces toxic waste and can have negative effects on those who consume it.

I guess it's a technology that is used when it has to be used and when the country has the cash (Middle East being an example). It may be the future - may HAVE to be!

If there is a predicted major impact on water supplies here I would stock up with purified water (perhaps 20 x 20 litres would be enough for two of us, but I will think about that nearer the time), use my ground tank to hold water I can take out in necessary and purify using purification tablets (I always hold a supply of these) and then wash in a river if I can get above the poo level (but there might be someone at the spring have a sh***!). The biggest impact will probably be on agriculture and so may look at my stored food supplies. My solution to ' The Great Onion Shortage' of 2022/2023 was simply to rely on those I had already frozen (which cooked well) and bought none until TGOS subsided.

4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe someone could pull some icebergs from near Antarctica to the Philippines, no need for desalination :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    In the Philippine Ice is called YELLOW and I was always taught not to use dat.