Dumaguete Info Search

Coffee Shops ??

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Edward K, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Ok, went thru the "breakfast / coffee" where? routine a few minutes ago. Aside from the regulars, Coffee Groove and Bo's, what are the good places for coffee and a pastry, not necessarily the whole "breakfast" ??? Let's keep to the "yes go-to's," everybody has a "i'll never go there again" b*tch...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I like the one in Lee Plaza ( Food Hall entrance) Good Coffee and plenty to choose from if you have a sweet tooth which I do at Coffee time :pompus: having said that, Hypermart is OK too

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    You may also try Sans Rival with two shops. One in the Robinson Mall and the 2nd on Rizal Blvd. Plenty of choice in cakes or pastry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I mostly do my morning thing at home now, but I used to have a morning circuit that I would hit outside the house to start the day.

I have fallen off the wagon, but I used to be low carb, just enough protein and mostly veggies. Because of that, I like my coffee black and stay away from pastries.

Bethel does a brewed coffee and has a good selection for a buffet type of breakfast. It's a popular place though. They get a good crowd from both the hotel and from the BLVD walkers. If you don't get in early, then you might not find a seat. This used to be my first stop.

My next stop was a "regular" but you didn't mention it. For me, that was McD's. I wasn't part of that crowd, rather I would whip out my laptop to do some work while sipping coffee. The coffee is the only thing edible in McD's though, so that's all I would order. As with Bethel, McD's does a brewed coffee and for a good price.

Outside of those places, it's hard to say. If you think in terms of food actually providing nutrients rather than being a gimmick, entertainment and / or chemically enabled - your list of places to go and things to do in this town nearly disappear. Nothing beats shopping for fresh veggies and then cooking the sorts of things you can't find in restaurants here. So, now I just stay home.

Special mention for the cleanest and most nutritionally sound options for food is Jamrock cafe. His soup is perfect and there are lots of other great things on the menu as well. His kitchen has always been spotless. His cafe isn't on the list for early morning coffee though.

Best coffee for a cheap price: McD's.

Good coffee with wide selection of breakfast: Bethel

As a bonus, both places are open early. McD's is 24/7 and you can watch the sun rise as you drink your coffee from Bethel. Open hours was another huge item for me. Many places were off my list just because they didn't open early enough.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Or try the french bakery in banilad,bacong. Some nice cakes and bread in there also.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I visit:
    1. Why Not
    2. Bo’s blvd
    3. Rolln Pin
    4. Sans Rival mall
    5. Coffee Groove (like it the best but need to go to town 6 days a week so not convenient).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And they sell very nice ampalaya bread, crumpets, pain au chocolat and chicken pockets ... plus, I am sure, many other interesting things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    I like the breakfast at McD's; egg mcmuffin with coffee. But most mornings; at home - scramble eggs cooked in olive oil, with toast.

9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    +1 for the Rollin pin in the silliman area.

OK espresso type coffees (not sure about brewed Coffee) and good croissants, bacon and eggs.

Edit: just for coffee Bo's at the Blvd is also fine. Don't trust their food though... In Robinsons there is the bean connection which is also nice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I believe that JLH (under Don Atilano) carries the Bacong french bakery baguettes after noon, but i may have gotten that wrong.