Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Collecting all Jeepney routes in DGTE

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dr. Shiva, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Filipinos that created and maintained those old jeepneys for a generation were a different breed. Take the picture while you can. They won't be around much longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I just hope that they are replaced with something equally as handy as a Jeepney, as Jeepney's are my main form of transport here! Tricycles come into play in the City and for transporting our Groceries home, but the Jeepney IS how I get around this place so would be very sad to see them disappear forever. If faced with the choice between a Jeepney and a Ceres Bus I always choose the Jeepney unless the Jeepney terminal is closed.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The reason for the PISTON strike the past 2 days was due to the government passing a law to eventually phase out jeepneys and trikes. It could likely be done in the urbanized cities (Dumaguete is not one of those places) but I don't see it happening in the next 20 years in the more rural places.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    The big question is with what they would replace tricycles (especially the bigger models) and jeepneys? Multicabs are much smaller than the bigger jeepneys. And for the tricycles I see only e-tricycles and e-tuktuks as the only replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The Brother In-law drives Tricycles and told me there are a few E-Tricycles in Dumaguete already but they cannot drive up driveways with passengers on-board, to make it up a slight grade everyone needs to get out then get back in once it is back on level ground, they are a big joke amongst the other drivers...

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most of the world has figured it out. Taxis, buses, rail, etc. I'm sure the law states a timeline and which locations they expect to see them phased out first (perhaps based off population densities). I'd also bet there are exceptions made for less populated areas.

7. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    For bigger cities it would be great to see a tramway system. For the middle size cities a trolleybus system.

But I think they will replace the beautiful jeepneys with a jeepney model as being used in Iloilo city.

@Brian Oinks: Sounds like completely underpowered tricycles. Any electrical motor up to 4 or 5 kW is too less for an e-tricycle. They should have 8 to 14 kW depending on the model and style.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Found a
    Route B: Downtown - Batinguel - Onday-ay - Balugo - Cadawinonan - Palinpinon (Starts probably in the Libertad St.)
    Route C: Downtown - Bagacay - Banilad - Bajumpandan - Cantil-e - Junob - Talay (Starts in the Colon St.)
    Route E: Cadawinonan - Junob - Bagacay - Locsin St. - Rizal Ave. - Looc (starts probably in the Dr. Miciano Rd)
    Route ?: Downtown - Banilad - Bajumpandan (Habitat 2 & 3) (thx google blurring everything out) (Starts in the Acias Pinili St.)

Where are the Routes A, D and F?

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Manila has rail. Massive levels of corruption and incompetence prevent it from running at full capacity. I suspect if similar infrastructure existed outside of the NCR it would be more of the same or even worse. Any new rail systems would likely be built by outside contractors. It would work great for the first couple months/year but once Filipino maintenance (or lack there of) took over it would end up being downright dangerous for the public.

As for trams: The roads in the Philippines aren't wide enough for current congestion. Eminent domain laws are extremely weak in the Philippines, the government would never be able to acquire enough land to widen roads to accommodate trains running down the middle of them. The local drivers would also likely cause serious issues for those trains. p*ss poor city planning makes improving urban traffic congestion nearly impossible. I also think the electrical infrastructure wouldn't be able to handle electric rails on the vast majority of cities. In a couple years the rails laid in the road would become a major hazard as the pavement/concrete road around them started to crumble (as Philippine roads tend to do rather quickly). Trams in the Philippines are an absolutely horrible idea IMO.

I don't think the jeepney model of public transportation need to be phased out in most locations. They are just in serious need of repair, and repairing them becomes harder every year due to parts becoming obsolete and harder to find. If the government really wanted to get rid of the jeepneys and trikes all they would really have to do is actually enforce the smoke test requirements. I bet more than 75% of them would be off the road within a year. The pollution they cause is my biggest complaint.

The electric trikes not having enough power? Perhaps they should stop buying Chinese and Indian crap. Modern electric motors are more than capable and powerful enough of being used for that purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    There are already some cities which enforces the improvement of the vehicles or replacing them with e-vehicles. In Ormoc City they enforced the rules that the vehicles have to be in good condition. Result is that at least half of all vehicles (private and public) are gone. Some jeepney routes have only few jeepneys left causing the remaining vehicles being completely overcrowded. Up to 60 (!) people on a bigger jeepney is now happening more often.

When they build a tramway system like as used in Tenerife it would be better. Own tracks not shared with the private vehicles and all crossing main streets are underpassed to prevent the private traffic being blocked by the tramway. This prevents that the tramways are getting stuck in the traffic.

The biggest benefit of current jeepney / tricycle system is, that in the cities there are nearly no wait time till one is passing. Every 10 to 20 sec getting a ride is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017