Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Collecting all Jeepney routes in DGTE

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dr. Shiva, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That is what I love about here compared to Australia. To catch the local Bus Service I needed to walk about 1/2 a kilometer to the nearest Bus Stop and they are lucky to run once an hour. Here you can hail a Tricycle and go 25KM's for $10AUD whereas a Taxi in Australia costs around $20/25AUD to drive 5 minutes down the road. Sorry but IMHO I have never had it so good when it comes to Public Transport than living here! I just make it my choice to live outside of the City Limits here to avoid all of the hustle and bustle, and noise and pollution, and over crowding, and... Well I think I have it covered! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  2. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The Dumaguete-style tricycles are perfect for the city. They have way more capacity than the trikes I've seen in some other Philippine cities (some of which have a single bucket-type seat.) They're far more maneuverable than a taxi-automobile would be and take up half the road space. My only criticism is the noise they make. I have a 150 cc scooter that I can barely hear by comparison. Surely the biggest factor for that is having a proper muffler.

It will be interesting to see just what they plan to replace the tricycles with if they phase them out. Electric tricycles are a nice novelty, but (as noted elsewhere in the thread) are too underpowered to get the job done properly. To be sure there are electric motors out there that can compete well with the gasoline/petrol-powered versions, but are they yet practical given the state of battery technology, charging infrastructure and price?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dustin, where did you read about the modernization law being targeted at not only jeepneys but also trikes?
    I can only find references to jeepneys. And yes I am aware that many jeepney drivers see it as a "phase out plan", but it is really not. What the government wants to achieve is to replace the old jeepneys (anything older than 15 years), with more modern replacements.

ZZZ_100516_1_b_2016_10_05_16_59_11.jpg

The reason many drivers object vehimently is that the replacement would see the jeepney owner go into between 1.2 and 1.6 million debt, financed with a 7 year loan at 6% interest. Such a loan would require monthly payments around the 22,000 PhP mark. I reckon the average current jeepney would be lucky to earn 600 a day after fuel and maintenance, or 18,000 a month. So if my guess is correct, jeepney fares would need to rise dramatically, even if the new models can take more passengers.
    And here's the catch, if that happens the jeepneys will loose business to taxis and trikes.

As with everything subject to government regulation in this country, things will only get underway if the rules are actually implemented. While I agree that things will get moving in the provinces a lot slower than in the NCR, the law says absolutely nothing about different objectives for different regions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I listened to what the PISTON Union and Philippine media was saying and made a few assumptions on my own. I should have known better.

5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Need to partly correct myself, because yes the Dep.of.Transport has said it aims to expand the renewal throughout the country, but the actual plan for now is only for the NCR , Metro Cebu and Davao.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. silverbullet

silverbullet Ring Ring. Who's calling? Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +76 / 14
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You cant impose any new laws onto jeepneys and pedicabs which by they way are privately owned enterprises. That transport system cannot become anything more than it already is due to noncompliance by the owners. I bet half of them are not even registered. A city has to have government-owned vehicles and government employed drivers. It would then be up to the government to manage the system. For a small regional town like Dumaguete that will never happen. Tourists can go and hire a motorbike or a pedicab will take you anywhere.

7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I would take that bet, but only for a small amount :chicken: ) Its my guess that the jeepneys and tricycles are watched as they are the easiest ones to catch when they don't pay their fees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You certainly can impose new laws and regulations on privately owned companies/businesses/individuals. It's all the Philippine government seems to do; write new law, don't enforce it, write another law, don't enforce it, write even more laws, don't enforce them. Of course the enforcement part is on the executive branch. The legislative side is doing their jobs by creating laws. Blame the president for not enforcing them.

Enforcement is the issue in the Philippines....and it's why I love the country. The Philippines is what true freedom looks (or at least, "looked") like. They are slowly moving towards a nanny state where the government feels they need to hold everyone's hand just so they can cross the street safely.

Why?

:biglol: They can't even keep toilet paper in stock in government offices. Manage a public transportation system? lol It's not just in Dumaguete they would fail miserably....all levels of government in the Philippines is completely corrupt and inept. (But I'd say smaller towns/cities would actually have a slightly better chance to achieve it than a bigger city would.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    There are some cities which are able to organize a working public transport system. Ex: Taguig City with the bus system in the Bonifacio Global City or Olongapo with the route numbers and color coded jeepneys. Even route maps are available. Ot the Ubeexpress system connecting NAIA with Metro Manila. Or the bus system in Pasig or Makati City around the Ortigas area.

In the case of route numbering it seems only few cities have it. Olongapo, Metro Cebu, in lesser degree Davao and Dumaguete.

10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    And many people don't know the meaning of the numbers. Example. You are in town and see a tricycle with only 3 digits in its number. Where is it Going.
    Most likely Sibulan. I know Sibulan uses 3 digits to number their tricycles and Dumaguete uses 4 but I do not know about places like Valencia. Does anyone know how many digits are in the Valencia number?