Dumaguete Info Search

COMET

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by Notmyrealname, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    This is from https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1305300/comet-streaking-past-earth-providing-spectacular-show

I am not sure if I am allowed to provide the photo from the article (will remove it if not) but this spectacular comet is moving this way.

A summary of the article says: "CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida — A newly discovered comet is streaking past Earth, providing a stunning nighttime show after buzzing the sun and expanding its tail.

Comet Neowise — the brightest comet visible from the Northern Hemisphere in a quarter-century — swept within Mercury’s orbit a week ago. Its close proximity to the sun caused dust and gas to burn off its surface and create an even bigger debris tail. Now the comet is headed our way, with closest approach in two weeks.

Scientists involved in the mission said the comet is about 3 miles (5 kilometers) across. Its nucleus is covered with sooty material dating back to the origin of our solar system 4.6 billion years ago.

The comet will be visible across the Northern Hemisphere until mid-August, when it heads back toward the outer solar system. While it’s visible with the naked eye in dark skies with little or no light pollution, binoculars are needed to see the long tail, according to NASA.

It will be about 7,000 years before the comet returns. (I am guessing we might not get a 2nd chance to see this! :smile: )

Comet streaking past Earth, providing spectacular show
    Associated Press / 12:10 PM July 11, 2020
    [​IMG]

Comet Neowise soars in the horizon of the early morning sky in this view from the near the grand view lookout at the Colorado National Monument west of Grand Junction, Colo., Thursday, July 9, 2020. (Conrad Earnest via AP)

[P.S. To save the person who makes snide comments making one here: Everyone's an astronomer now)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

is it true sir that comets point their tails at the sun??

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Comets always point their tails away from the sun due to solar winds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    I do the same when I have wind.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. hiddenuser