Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Competent Big Bike Mechanic

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, Nov 19, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You won't have any problems finding big bikes for sale here. It would be a complete waste of time and money to import one, IMO. Prices here are a significantly higher than you would find in the US but it still is significantly cheaper than importing.

Scooters are the way to go here for daily commuting/errands during the dry season. Best to invest in a car or some good wet weather gear for the rainy season (a solid 4 months out of the year).

Those 300cc scooters just aren't worth it unless you are 250lbs+. They really don't offer that much more acceleration or power for the peso. Just a waste of fuel IMO. I drive a 2020 Yamaha 155cc Aerox and it is more than enough to carry my gf and myself (about 120kg/265lbs between us) up and down the mountain to Valencia at 70kph+, averaging about 40km/liter (95mpg). The 155 Aerox would be equivalent to the 155 Nmax. Perhaps a bit worse fuel economy and HP to lbs ratio with the Nmax but probably not by much. Both bikes have enough storage capacity under the seat to store one full size helmet or x3 one liter bottles of Tanduay. Add a storage box and you can get most of your weekly grocery shopping done with either of these bikes. (A storage box could be easily replaced by a gf with decent forearm and bicep strength or a couple aftermarket storage hooks under the handlebar.)

There are several foreigner and Filipino MCs on the island. I never joined one myself but I know a lot of people who have and seemed to really enjoy it. Not my cup of tea but it is definitely an option if it's something that would interest you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. BEACHBUMM

BEACHBUMM DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 18
    Blood Type:
    A+

The x3 bottle of Tanduay got me chuckling. Glad to know I'm not the only one buying in bulk here. I've had several motorcycles myself (including the Filipino brands like Rusi, they're alright especially if you frequently ride through dirty roads and rocky pathways up the mountains. I find them quite durable). I agree that purchasing one here will save you more pennies than importing one. Plus all the trouble with the customs just isn't worth it. Been there, done that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Oh wow I always thought they're Chinese. Are the Rusis really manufactured in the Philippines?

4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    They are manufactured in China.
    The brand name RUSI is Filipino.
    They are good bikes for the money and RUSI provides great service including roadside assistance.
    They market a few styles including a "trike bike", 250 cc cafe racer, 250 and 200 cc Honda enduro look alike.

5. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    oops duplicate.

6. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    yeah that's what I thought, and why I never considered to get one. A real Honda doesn't need roadside assistance, so what :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    And so many products, from cookers to sanitary ware (basins, toilet bowls, cisterns, faucets) giving the appearance by name and point-of-sale information of being European or American (with their usually high standards) but often being cr*p Chinese products (with their usually low standards).

8. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Most all motorcycles are now made in China. Many of the parts in the Japanese brands are made in China. On the wholesale end there are three levels of quality.

It is up to the marketing brand to purchase and test to ensure good quality.

Many people are brainwashed by marketing efforts to be addicted to a brand so that they pay an exorbitant price for marginally better quality.

RUSI does a good job selecting the better quality Chinese motorcycles to re-sell. I think the value per dollar is far better than Honda.

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lemons are far more common with these Chinese products and, from what I've seen here, they just don't last as long.

However, there may be reasons for that. People who pay extra money for a brand name motorcycles may have more disposable income for preventative maintenance compared to those on a budget. Unless hundreds or thousands are tested side by side under exactly the same conditions we may never know.

Only one thing is certain with these Chinese bikes/vehicles/products, China is profiting massively off of stealing trademarks and intellectual property from highly educated engineers and designers from developed countries. Personally, I would rather support these professionals and the companies that pay them, because if they get ran out of business and these Chinese garbage factories are the ones left standing absolutely all progress and advancements would come to a dead halt. China is a culture of intellectual theft. P*ss on them.

• Agree Agree x 6