Dumaguete Info Search

Computer expertise urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Ricardo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I have a mate on Siquijor having big problems with his laptop using Windows 8. Googling for solutions has not provided the answer.
    When booting up the computer States there are different errors and will go in to repair mode but it never eventuates.
    Booting up in Safe mood ala Win 7 is not possible and he doesn't have Win 8 on a disc the laptop arrived pre loaded.
    As he has lots of work related documents he urgently requires help.
    Would the members here recommend any one or a computer shop in Duma that is Win 8 conversant?

Thanks

Ricardo

2. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    There is guy over the road from unie top (same block as mac doos its a cel phone shop , he sits just inside the door, i went there some of my frienda goes to him and are very happy . His charges are reasonable . good luck

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Maybe you should try Yolly who goes under the name pc doc who is a member on this site, she has done a good job on several people's pc's, good luck
    Cell number 09088695618

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No recommendations on computer shops. I will say that once he gets the files copied to another hard disk that he give Linux Mint a go. Very user friendly and doesn't crash all the time like Win8. Very similar (looking) to Windows.....plus it's free. I had similar problems with Win8 on this computer (and lost a lot of information) but since moving over to Linux I have not had a single crash an absolutely no data loss.

Screenshot from 2015-01-13 23:10:36.png Screenshot from 2015-01-13 23:14:42.png Screenshot from 2015-01-13 23:18:55.png

If he decides to keep Windows 8 I highly suggest he makes a point to regularly backup his data (to an external hard drive or cloud service) and have a recovery disk (which you can make yourself from the computer) made. Not doing these things with Windows 8 is just asking for disaster. It's a sub-par product that was not ready to be put on the shelves (like pretty much all but a few Microsoft operating systems)

Curious: Has he actually tried to contact Microsoft Customer support?

• Like Like x 2
  5. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Microsoft Operating Systems appear to have inherent problems which require updates. All my important stuff is backed up on an external HDD from an old computer. When I next update my desktop, I will buy one with Linux installed. By all accounts it look very similar to Windows, but without all the infuriating problems. I would go with Wyre83 and back up all my files and then istall Linux. If you are unhappy with Linux, you can always get Windows 7 installed for 600 peso at Ace Logic.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The problem with Windows is that it is the main target for hackers. Mainly because of position in the market. The majority of updates I see are security updates to patch vulnerabilities that hackers have found.

These are very tough to find with Linux pre-installed. There are a few specialized businesses that sell them though. Most major distros of Linux only take a couple minutes to install yourself. The only benefit I could see to buying one pre-installed would be tech support.....but you can easily find that online if you have an Ubuntu distro (or variation of it: such as Mint).

Stock Ubuntu looks/operates nothing like Windows, I personally don't it. I prefer Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1. The average Windows user would just think it is Windows with a theme/skin on it.

Just for reference to those who want to see the difference:
    Unbuntu Stock:
    [​IMG]

Stock Mint 17:
    [​IMG]

Both are easily customized though. My Mint 17.1:
    Screenshot from 2015-02-28 10:42:17.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. KINGCOLE

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    LAZADA have a new range of desktop boxes ranging from 6990 peso to 10900 peso. The spec seems pretty good and even buying the parts separately, I don't think I could match the price.

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Are Lazada safe when shopping on-line? Has anyone used them?

• Like Like x 1
  9. KINGCOLE

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have used them several times. Most of there goods are free shipping and you can pay cash on delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks Kingcole, I'm always paranoid about on-line shopping over here. might give them a try.

• Like Like x 1