Dumaguete Info Search

Construction Materials/House Construction Cost

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Stockhomlyn, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    I wouldn't say that one was better than the other but we tend to use OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) as it's more readily available and therefore consistent.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    Add one cap full of liquid dishwashing soap (Dove for example) per sack of cement. The water required to make the concrete will be reduced by almost 50%. The result is concrete that is almost twice as strong.
    The dishwashing soap reduces the surface tension between the water molecules and allows it to spread more easily with the mix.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    COVID-19
    Threads that pertain to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    There are two schools of thought on this: Do & Don't. The addition of a liquid detergent acts as an air-entrainer to form microscopic bubbles in the mixture extending the workability of the mix as the water evapourates. However, experiments show that this reduces the strength and adhesion of the cement/mortar to the substrate. I would NOT recommend the use of detergents in this manner, if you want to extend the workability and maintain the strength then use a good quality plasticizer in the mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I agree there are two schools of thought. I haven't found anything on the internet explaining how a cap full of soap reduces the surface tension of the water allowing it to spread more easily in the mixture. There are several articles out there where up to 1.5 liters of soap was added to 1 cubic meter of concrete, If there is a lot of entrained air, it is reasonable to expect the concrete will not be strong.
    Comparing a cap full of soap to a liter of soap is like comparing apples to oranges. My personal experience is batches of concrete made with a small amount of soap is much tougher than without.
    My information comes from a South African civil engineer whose job was building sea ports and power stations. The other source is a German with a 2 or 3 year diploma in mixing concrete.
    Give it a try early on in the project and decide what works best.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    What about adding diluted white glue to mortar/concrete/fillers? I have done this in the past, especially for repairs to cracks. Here they recommend adding paint to fillers but I've never tried that. I also seal large cracks with diluted white glue before filling. None of these fillings have fallen out (maybe I should suggest this to dentists!) but I don't live in those houses now - so who knows!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    Actually I have heard of adding white glue. If you have to repair a broken off corner or something of that nature. The glue will help the patch stick.
    Wood is pourous, cement is pourous, why not.

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Done that got the t-shirt. Adding paint to filler is not a good idea it drys hard but it's like trying to sandpaper concrete. If filler was meant to be like that the manufacture would add paint in the filler in the first place. Over 40 years in the trade.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I was concerned about the idea - I was told by painters here to use the paint undiluted! But I respect your 4 weeks experience in the trade. I am surprised drei doppelgangers have not suggested adding **********.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    As I am building at this moment I have taken time to research the mixing of concrete and I did find a site some time ago that suggests not to use Soap and also not to use PVA adhesives (white wood glue) in the cement mix, there is a saying from back home in Scotland, if you believe all you hear you will eat all you see, unfortunately I cannot find the site I read this on, I believe it was some Institute of building technology likely from US and they were giving the results of the PSI test done with soap and without, soap will weaken the final product, but it is true that most Builders/Bricklayers will give it a thumbs up, PVA Glue is used by mixing with water at a ratio of 1 glue to 5 water and used as a primer to the hole to be patched with concrete, but this institute also advised against that.
    Doing my research one thing I did find was, that adding 20grms of Sugar to a mix will retard it and double the working time of it, the amount is critical and over 25grm can have an adverse affect.

The worst thing you can do to any cement batch whether it is mortar or concrete is add too much water, 20% extra water will compromise its strength by 80%, I have even known a Foreign builders here does this and his reason is; when you pour concrete around steel, a nice watery slurry gets into all the small spaces and really coats the steel, what a load of rubbish this man is an idiot or eejit where I come from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.