Dumaguete Info Search

Continous brownouts

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by DavyL200, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    My pet peeve. The local co Prosielco on Siquijor seems to have multiple acute attacks of brown-out-itis 1-3 days before meters are to be read. Several a day at that. The ‘surge’ when power comes back causes the meter to whizz around faster. They collect a few more pesos, we have to schlep down to any store to purchase new electrical goods as they wear out a lot sooner, circuit breakers etc causing a mini stampede about the home to switch things off.

I’m trying to go completely solar, but despite National Legislation encouraging this there are umpteen administrative hurdles to vault over. Then the company tell me we can’t sell any excess back - so investing in ‘limiters’ so they don’t get anything for free back becomes an issue.

The only bonus here is the relative peace n quiet during brown outs. Day and Dongs rehearsals for Pilipinas Got Talent at the karaoke bar is given a temporary ki-bosh and but for the odd farting past the palatial gates of C’s Manor tricycle; noise pollution is at a minimum. Heaven. Don’t get me started on the bright spark who thinks it’s a good idea to use a chainsaw at 7am, I’ll reserve my wrath for that person on another current debate. One that I can get really charged about. You know a discussion where the sparks fly, where it doesn’t meter what is said, where I can plug myself into a live discussion...etc etc.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Incompetence YES Reason NO

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    That fits most non-Filipino definitions of “brownout”. Low voltage. But that is really low; no AVRs cannot stabilize 100v back up to 220v as that would have to double the input current. No way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Wait a minute: Standard transformers here are 10KVA which might handle 3 small native houses. If you are running perhaps 3, 1.5hp AIRCON units you may wish to purchase your own upgraded transformer to 15KVA, only for your house and not shared with neighbors. A 15KVA new will cost about 50,000 php at Polaris. Now, 2500 KVA or 2.5 Megawatts will energize about 1/4 of the Island of Siquijor. If you really mean 2.5 KVA, that might handle a small 35 sq meter pag-ibig house (like Carmela), without AIRCON. Just sayin’ :pontificating:

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    As i said the sooner these monopolys are gone the better. Another 11 hrs on sunday albeit the ngcp not noreco. But it does make you wonder about why as we supply most of the power to other islands. Why is it every few weeks we get a sunday without power?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So you can pray harder. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    O.K. I see my mistake. I put 2500 KVA when I should have put 25 KVA.
    I have a 25 Kva WAGNER transformer. I paid for it and the install. I am the only one on that transformer. Before that install I would get voltage as low as 160 volts, resulting in all the fried equipment. I have not lost any equipment sense this ₱217,000.oo+ rewire of the entire electoral system. Every thing from this transformer to the last fixture in the house. The shocks we were experiencing, from our equipment before, also went away.

IMG_2696_3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  8. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Right but you said 2500 KVA, not 25 KVA. I agree that a new 25 KVA should cost a lot more than the 50K php Polaris charges for a 15KVA and you say you paid 200K php for 25 KVA. In Siquijor, Prosielco surveyed our family home over there with a total of 6 hp AIRCON plus 2 refrigerators, washer and dryer and several small appliances and came up with 15KVA. Actually, it adds up about right, estimating that 1hp AIRCON = about 1KVA. But this conservatively assumes that everything is on simultaneously, which just does not happen. In that case I didn’t bother to buy the transformer because PROSIELCO offers to lease the unit. Of course, it is generally nice to be self-sufficient and buy your own except for one thing: If you go past warranty and it fails, or more likely your xfmr gets struck by lightning, do you think the power company will pay to fix or replace it? I asked. They will not pay (of course), but, I asked, who pays to fix it if I lease it? Power company pays. Here in Negros Oriental they do not give you the option to lease so I am living with the power company-owned 10 KVA unit that Is shared with 2 others. But I only originally had one 2hp AIRCON, in the master bedroom. No problems here in Valencia so far :fingers-X’d: Temps are cooler here and less need for AIRCON. We rEcently built a family room with another 2.5 hp AIRCON. We rarely use the AIRCON unless there is a large family party but still no problems when we do turn it on. IMHO I think 25 KVA is really large for a residence but you may have a really big residence. What caught my attention was your 2500 KVA; must have been a typo. Did NORECO survey your place?

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I bought a surplus GE 25kva from Polaris for 55K 8+ years ago. Still working fine.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Not sure what they mean by “surplus” but I suppose it means that Polaris at the time had come across some used ones and rebuilt them, maybe giving you a warranty. If so, sounds great. Right now I get by with the present NORECO installation. There is s valid business argument that NORECO should invest in whatever hardware it takes for me to pay the very high 11php/ kWh to consume their product. But that is not how it works here; instead, the CUSTOMER (ie NORECO II member) pays the upfront costs so NORECO II can profit. You are actually paying for the transmission costs borne by the equipment you own :bend over: And the customer is responsible to maintain his distribution equipment for the effects of lightning and constant surges. However, there is the moral argument that I “seem” to sense at NORECO, that rich foreigners, who have a transformer the same size as Hypermart’s are just bad people, ie for consuming so much resource compared to the local people, thus we should pay. A moral concern; after all NORECO is not in it for the money, they are there to cause brownouts hehe. Anyway, I have much better things to spend a thousand dollars on that we could actually “enjoy” so I will invest nothing in this stuff until I absolutely have to. If future new foreigner neighbors build around me and begin to overload our shared transformer, I will try to out wait him/her and let THEM spend the thousand dollars; after all, I was here first hehe.

• Agree Agree x 1