Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Cooking American style

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Bdawg, Mar 20, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Bdawg

Bdawg DI Member

Central Supply Technician.
    Ratings:
    +40 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Another thing that occurred to me was how hard it was to find cheese that wasn't some form of processed cheese, like velveeta or cheez whiz. Just regular cheddar was hard to find, even at larger groceries like the Ororama Megacenter, & S&M grocery didn't seem to have it at the time. On the flipside, some of the fruit that I've only seen in the Philippines is now available in some of my local stores like Albertsons, such as Jackfruit (Langka). Usually too green to eat though.
    If I want Filipino groceries here, I either have to drive 200 miles to Spokane, WA. where the asian stores have *some of the ingredients, or 478 miles to Tukwila, WA. to go to Seafood City and eat at a Jollibee's. If I was thinking, I should have shipped a bunch of stuff Balikbayan to her home in Amlan, and then I wouldn't have to pack much of anything in my suitcase.

2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Many spices are available but some basics are not, garlic salt, fresh (not clumped together) parmesan cheese...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Bdawg

Bdawg DI Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I just may bring some of my own spices, especially ones that I think may be hard to find there. One thing I remember about staying in Cagayan De Oro, is it seemed that everything we ate was sweet, hence I think I developed a craving for some sour or bitter things like dill pickles and mustard. Probably not the best place to live if you are diabetic. :wink:
    I wasn't really fond of the hot dogs there, but I thought they might have been more palatable with some mustard and perhaps grilled. The red dye I think was the taste that killed them for me. Not a fan of Jollibee burgers either.
    If there is a flat pan or griddle, I can make breakfast food for them. Kids like pancakes usually, not sure what kind of syrup they have, but I can make that too.
    I can cook quite well on campfires, since I grew up camping a lot. might even bring my camping coffee pot. If there's a campfire to be made, I'm usually the first one up making the fire and drinking coffee while it's still dark in the a.m.. Probably even walk down to the ocean with my coffee and sit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Just saw the big jar of big dill pickles at LP a couple days ago

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Bdawg

Bdawg DI Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Thanks! That's promising, maybe I can make my mom's potato salad recipe for them to go with the lechon baboy or BBQ.

6. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hypermart has the Cheddar type cheese and an American guy I spoke with was stoked that Hypermart is now stocking specialty Cheeses in the refrigerated section that I think are made from Goats, might be worth checking out... :smile:

I had Balikbayan Boxes sent here from Oz, took around 3 months for them to arrive and $150.00 AUD each Box, so imo best to only send what you are sure you cannot buy here. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Cheddar has mostly been out of stock the last month or so. Both Robinsons, Lee Plaza, and Hypermart. No idea why but it's cramping my style.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Try Belcris they have Plenty

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have a chunk of theirs I bought a few weeks ago. Still have it because the quality is so low. I hear the sliced cheddar is better but haven't been back to try it yet. I do like the bacon and sausage though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Lets face it G & G's, we are just expecting Too much of this Place Things like this and the Education problem that pops up is in our Minds only. It is only Low quality and Cr....p to us. :pompus: