Dumaguete Info Search

Cooking Thread :: Recipes Added here

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by baltoed, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    At the German DFAC here they make some really awesome "red cabbage" dish. I believe something is lost in translation as it seems like sauerkraut made out of red cabbage. Have you ever ran across the stuff in the PI?

2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've never seen red cabbage here...asked the wife and she did not think cabbage was anything but green. Another thing I like quite a bit (after tweaking it a bit) is a crunchy seaweed with the local vinegar, onions, chili and garlic. May not be to everyone's taste but reminds my a great deal of a side dish from Korea and I've stated before that Korean food is by far my favorite.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090

Sounds like the description of (Borscht) which is a dish made from cabbage that contains beets which turns the entire dish red. I have had it a few time and it's a great dish. Just an
    observation of what it may be that you're mentioning!

Germans are also big on this dish that may be the topic of discussion!

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    My lovely wife turned the big 3-0 today, 23rd of March. Spaghetti is normal here, which is cool as I like it as well...I just can not deal with the sauce here. We are getting ripe tomatoes in the market, not sauce tomatoes but worth a shot. I started cooking them down on the other night, garlic, onions, local bell peppers, clams, shrimp, salt, Italian seasoning and paprika. A fairly thick sauce as I did not puree things...it rocked by the way.

1 kilo of ground pork, 1/2 kilo of ground beef, bread cubes (wheat bread toasted and cut up), sage, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic and onion for the meatballs...putting hotdogs in spaghetti just freaks me out so that was not happening. Cooked in a baking pan on the pizza stone (not a stone but seems to work well, Weber has some cool things for their grills).

I also did 2 kilo of chicken wings; simple marinade with sesame seeds, garlic and sea salt...these were knocked out by our guests in a minute.

We had pancit, lumpia and a few other dishes as well. It was a pretty fun day, I got to spend most of my time cooking and my old wife got to spend time with friends and family. The meatballs and wings were a hit so am a bit proud of that.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Happy b-day to the misses!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks, it was a good day with her family and friends for her.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  7. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Easy delicious summer treat for young and not so young. One small carton evaporated milk, 1/3 c chocolate syrup, mix and freeze in small containers for 4 hours. Takes me back to the fudgcicle as a kid. Make a double recipe, they will be gone quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FilipinoGringo

FilipinoGringo Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    Yeah! Lechon baby!

9. FilipinoGringo

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    SORTEDfood is one of the world’s largest communities of food lovers.

Started by a group of friends in London a few years ago, their food conversation has grown to include people from all over the globe, contributing ideas as well as thousands of tips and tricks for how to improve what they eat.

Having grown the conversation across the internet, it finally has a home in this online platform through hundreds of high quality recipe videos from SORTEDfood, plus recipes and chats from the community.

So build a profile, follow your favourite foodies and start uploading some of your best food photos and recipes, and join in the conversation!

SORTEDfood

SORTED Food - YouTube

10. FilipinoGringo

Ratings:
    +40 / 7