Dumaguete Info Search

Cooking Thread :: Recipes Added here

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by baltoed, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3

Try This

Boil A LARGE HEAD OF CABBAGE ...OR BOUT 20 MINUTES TO MAKE IT SOFT

1/2 KILIO OF HAMBURGER FROM LEES PLAZA ALWAYS GOOD THERE

ADD 1 LARGE ONION DICED
    ADD ALOT ALOT OF GARLIC DICED SMALL
    SPICES....GARLIC SALT (A LITTLE).... ITALIAN SEASONING (SOME) ...ABOUT 1 TABLESPOON OF CLOVE (POWDER)...AND 2 -3 TABLESPOONS OF CINNAMON....
    ADD ABOUT 1/3 CUP OF RICE
    POUR A LITTLE OLIVE OIL IN AND MIX REAL GOOD
    DRAIN THE CABBAGE CUT OUT THE CORE... AND TAKE THE LEAVES ADD THE MEAT AND ROLL THEM UP.....
    ADD WATER JUST TO COVER AND COOK FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES

GRANDMA'S RECIPE FROM EUROPE

• Like Like x 1
  2. FilipinoGringo

FilipinoGringo Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    My Mother makes that all the time. It's called Golabki. We always called it "gawumpki". Never used Italian seasoning. Used marjoram in some cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    I added the Italian seasoning it has a good mix of spices and helped out

4. FilipinoGringo

FilipinoGringo Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    When it comes to cooking, use your imagination. If it tastes good, all is well.

5. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    A cool cold pasta salad is easy and refreshing. Add any ingredients you like and use tricolor spiral pasta. Dressing is 1/4c EVOO and 1/8c red wine vinegar. Add in one clove of garlic minced, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Let it marinate a few hours. My ingredients include, black olives, tomato, red onion, bell pepper, cucumber, salami or pepperoni or ham.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Tofu Sinigang??

Me, the wife and son really like Tofu. We don't get to Dumaguete all that often and will buy up what we can find when they have it in the coolers. The wife wanted to make Sinigang the other day and we could not find but a few of the larger prawns in the market so we both had the idea of adding tofu for some "bulk". We normally use tofu in Korean soups or fried so this was an experiment. It came out very good, but you obviously need to have a taste for tofu.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Meant to post this before but have been distracted the past few days.

I am a huge fan of cabbage; soup, fried or steamed I really like it. I got a 1/2 kilo of pork (half is fat) and fried it, starting with some olive oil until the fat started down. Once the outside was starting to look a bit browned I removed it and cut into small pieces and fried until cooked through. The wife and son like the fat but I prefer to cut down on fatty stuff so it was a nice treat for the dogs. One head of cabbage chopped as well as one of the green beans you find in the market in a rubber banded bunch. A few of the red bell peppers, garlic and onion. The long beans are cut in pieces around 3" long, I really like them as they do not taste different to me compared to the green beans I grew up eating.

I saved the pork fat to fry up the veggies, cabbage went in last as I do not want it getting over cooked, I like it a bit crisp. From there it was just sea salt, some black pepper and some paprika. A nice little stir fry over rice that is quite good and very easy to make.

Someone was asking before about food budgets, so I'll add that it cost less than 200 peso for the ingredients and fed me, the wife and our 8 yr old son with the leftovers being the wife's lunch the next day. Inexpensive in my opinion for a nice dinner for 3 people.

Shawn

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Tonight was tuna steaks with mango salsa and rice (obvious). Got 1 kilo of tuna which worked out for 3 steaks, marinade for a few hours in olive oil, sea salt, paprika and garlic. The wife likes fish well done so they ended up a bit dry in my opinion but had a good flavor.

Salsa is something I have been playing with, both your normal tomato and mango and am really pleased with what I have come up with. There are a ton of different recipes out there for mango salsa but I think I do a couple things different. I roast the larger local green chili peppers, not jalapeno but still nice with some kick. I also roast the bell peppers and believe the roasting really adds to the flavor. It is a bit of a pain to peel the peppers and deseed, but it is worth it and I enlist our 8 year old to help.

Onion is obvious but I also use tomatoes and avocado. I take about 5 calamansi and squeeze out the juice and soak some chopped garlic in it for a bit. Then just the juice goes into the salsa. I don't have cilantro, but am not a huge fan unless it is in a small bit anyway. I use the green, sour mango as I think it just works better. Avocado is something that I really enjoy, it could be left out of the salsa but I really like the cool, fresh tastes that it adds. I think it may be more of what you are using the salsa with.

Most recipes say that the salsa should be used right away but I think the taste is much better after a day or 2 in the fridge. The tomato salsa is the same recipe minus mango and just more tomatoes.

The tuna was 180 peso per kilo and with the other ingredients, we loaded up on garlic and onion (they don't always have white onions so the wife gets enough to last); so I'm guessing it was close to 300 peso for dinner. We still have some fish and more than half the salsa left over so that changes a bit as we will use the leftovers in the next couple days.

If anyone tries to make the salsa I described or has something they've made I would love to hear some feedback. I am really trying to keep the family eating healthy as well as using mostly local ingredients to come up with tastes that are close to what I enjoy with some balance with what the wife and son like. And I like to cook.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  9. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i was in cebú city a couple of weeks ago and Healthy Options in ayala mall had 1.5# packs of corn Bob's Red Mill corn grits.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pinagpala kano

pinagpala kano DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 21
    Blood Type:
    O+