Dumaguete Info Search

Cooking Thread :: Recipes Added here

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by baltoed, Jul 30, 2014.

1. pinagpala kano

pinagpala kano DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 21
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Was cooking up a pot roast this weekend & thought i'd share this recipe as way to utilize tough beef (carabao) hehe.

ingredients: kilo beef chuck...2 large onions...half bunch celery/ same for carrots...garlic...bottle cheap red wine...beef broth.

start in a tall pot on medium heat & add olive oil & chopped garlic...brown garlic.

turn up the heat & sear the meat (to seal in the juices). remove & set aside. turn heat back to medium.

chop carrots celery & onions as desired...add to pot scraping the meat residue & cook for appx 15-20 mins stirring occasionally.

add appx 2 cups beef broth & the same amount of red wine...bring to a boil stirring occasionally.

turn down heat to simmer...add meat...cover & simmer for appx 4-5 hrs or until liquid is absorbed/evaporated.

bon appetit....should work on pork also...serve with mashed potatos or rice.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Looks like this thread has not gotten much attention recently...too bad as it was probably one of my favorite threads.

Anyway, we BBQ quite a bit and I mostly use either dry or wet marinades. I rarely use BBQ sauces as I find most to be way too sweet for me. A quick and easy sauce is to use about a 30/70 mix of Sriracha chili sauce (not sure if it is available here but I usually bring a bottle or two home) and oyster sauce. I also mix in some fresh crushed garlic as I like garlic. It has some kick so if you do not like too spicy just mix it with more oyster sauce and/or add some honey so give it just a bit of sweetness. All the oyster sauce I've gotten locally are somewhat sweet so it is enough for me and the wife. You could just use honey instead of the oyster sauce but I think the oyster sauce has some additional flavors that really work well with the kick of the Sriracha sauce.

A bit of garlic or onion salt on the meat first, BBQ and add the sauce when things are just about done so you don't burn the sauce.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    We found "Real Thai Sriracha Chilli Sauce" (their spelling, not mine) at Lee Super Plaza in the foreigner shelf across from the ice cream... It's not real spicy, like the stuff made in Southern California that is so hot the neighborhood surrounding the plant tried to get them evicted <grin>, just saute some local chilis and throw them in...

We used some in our favorite recipe, prawn and white fish saffron rice similar to a paella, a work up from williams sonoma chicken saffron rice...

Nice idea to fire up this thread.. PS we found Sherry we were looking for at Times mercantile (Locsin near Real or close, "over that way".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Nobody posted in a whole four months, thought i'd fire up the ol' keyboard. Our new favorite recipe for dinner is our version of "fried rice."
    Cook rice while doing vegetables
    Cut, chop, fresh veggies, eggplant, green onions, bitter melon, garlic,
    pechay, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.
    (do a garlic search on ggle, slice, never "press")
    Saute everything, the hard stuff longest, in olive oil...
    Throw in rice, cook, put pechay leaves in LAST for only a minute or so....
    presto, done... enjoy ....

• Like Like x 2