Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Corrugated roofs

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Having been in your house and met your SIL, she said to me; that upstairs gets really hot and every window up there plus the balcony door has to remain open to give it a sporting chance to cool down? this was how it was when I went there.

If I were you I would not be overly concerned with the state of your roof sheets at this moment in time and be more inclined to improve the situation up in your attic, I can only guess with that huge window at the front of your house which spans the two floors and acts like a solar panel? in view of this I think it is unlikely there was ever much consideration given to the heat from your hot tin RED roof, likely at best there will only be a token gesture to insulation up there in the form of a thin foam 5 to 10mm? within 3 years this low grade foam turns to dust.

If I was in your situation, there is few things I would consider, First I would beef up the ventilation of the Attic and consider fitting a top vent on the roof in some form, install insulation above the ceilings in the upstairs rooms to a minimum of 2inches, discard these heat absorbing stupid Red Coloured Tin sheets on the roof and fit Imac uPVC roofing sheets, they are only available in pastel shades and block 90% of the heat and 50% less noisy in the rain, a Fat Bar Steward weighing 100kgms can jump on this all day and never distort them I know as I am the Fat B who tested them.

To give an idea how much this costs on a fully hipped roof, (this type of roof incurs the most waste, but it is the best shape to withstand typhoons however I used most of this waste to form a lean to outdoor laundry and ended up with very little waste) covering and area of 210M2 with a pitch of 45 degrees= to 315 M2 of roofing material plus all the ridge capping, screws and sealant all in this was P130K this included 10% extra for the inevitable mistakes and there was some. Now I can only guess at this? but perhaps this will save as much as 50% on AC use so it is a long term saving and likely to pay for itself? For your own roof at approximately half the size of mine this would cost around P100K to include fitting cost, I did not use gutters so perhaps another 20 to 30k to include these?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    Not yet.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2