Dumaguete Info Search

Cost of Living - Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave & Imp, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I think it is necessary to split some of expenses into categories. For example, restaurants, alcohol, rent and cooking at home. I have a g/f and rarely go out since I stopped drinking. Most of our food is purchased from the market and a few grocery stores.

I prefer not to eat out as I have no idea how clean the food is or the people preparing it. I am not saying I never eat out but is rare.

I am diabetic and am concerned with what I eat because some foods can be dangerous for me. The beauty of the Philppines is that there are all kinds of fruit and vegetables you buy. I don't put a monitory number on food I buy as my health is the most important thing to me.

Let's take bananas (which I cannot eat much of), for example. On any given day you likely find 5 different varieties. I find they are relatively cheap to buy. Some vegies are more expensive like lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli. Mostly because Filippinos don't normally eat them.

But look at the cost for Buko Juice. Only 15 pesos for one coconut! It would cost you around $5 in the US. There are so many fruits here to chose from. I love Pomelo and it is expensive here. When you consider the benefits of this fruit it is worth every peso. Some of the fruits you can get in the Filippines are not available in the US and if they are, you are going to pay so much for them.

We should be thankful that we have all kinds of fruits to chose from.

What about the fish? Is the fish in the market really fresh? How do the prices compare the US? The problem with listing prices here is the prices change all the time.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Not that they are dating foreigners for money but a *date* for most of us isn't *lets go back to my place for some noodles and sex* but instead going out someplace to eat, maybe taking her to a pool, watching a movie at robinsons or something along those lines. Further when we have a gal we like while she may not be a gold digger we tend to want to make sure her basic needs are met plus a bit meaning ragged cloths likely replaced, an old ragged phone may be replaced by a new one to impress on her, and so forth. Its also just because the cost of 2 is more expensive.

Then of course the odds that a gal we just met we may not be wanting to trust her by bringing her to our place yet but still want to get busy so maybe its a hotel. Maybe its the add in of buying her birth control.

In rare cases its even the cost of her getting drunk enough that you actually look attractive enough to her! Or more so feeling that she feels we are attractive enough (remember that many of us when we first come here are under the influence of western women who make us think we are hideous!). *Spoiler, this last bit *might* be a joke... your call, hehe*

But honestly, how many of us when we were new here that didn't have a gold digger still spoiled her rotten and looked to spend and spend on her to impress, often because that's what western women taught us we had to do?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    You have an excellent point here. It's kind of shocking when looked at from the locals perspective if you spend $75 USD on them when in the US that might be dinner and a movie and the woman wouldn't bat an eye even if she were a sorter of used clothing for Goodwill.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    When I came courting here 25 years ago I quickly learned that a 'Date' was what you planned with a 'soft-nosed' girl while an 'Outing' was what you proposed with a respectable one. Confusing the first with the second could lead to an unfortunate reaction. :dead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Billybob

Billybob DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +37 / 8
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Rent is a little higher then I spent as I don't need quite as nice a place. Since I live alone I don't need much as far as living is concerned just a safe place to lay my head.
    My electric was never over 1,000 pesos. The only time I generally run the aircon is during adult noise time ( I've found the Filipina's to be pretty loud, hehe).
    Everything else is pretty much the same I would had that a 500 peso phone load lasts me a couple of months. The biggest thing that would eat up the load is when the GF wants me to pass a load (NO I don't mean adult noise time).
    Add in about 1500 pesos per month for visa expenses and you're good to go.
    I'm not an expert on the Philippines not even close just sharing my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    HOUSE: owned, if rented cost: 35K, with swimming pool,24hrs.security guard,high pressure water, and good internet with network back ups(PLDT, Ultera and Smart pocket wifi).
    Monthly Expenses:
    ELETRICITY AND WATER: Electric3,000, Water 200
    CABLE: 410, INTERNET 2,100
    HELPER:5,200( with SSS and Philhealth)

RELAXING HUSBAND:cool:: Poker and Beverages 5-8,000, Massage including tips & flirting 8,000 Food 10,000, Phone:1,200

WORKING WIFE:alien:: Nails 500, hair every 3 months 2,000(grey hair colouring) and if I look younger I gave 300 tips. Food, I eat husband’s left over. Phone I hate calls and texting I must say Zero budget for phone. But, I travel 3 or more per year..

3 DOGS & 2 CATS: Meds & food 5,000.

STUDENT DAUGHTER:bookworm:: Spend 3 times or more…

NOTE: 5 years ago we rented a house in Dumaguete City 25K/ month Grand total monthly expenses for 2 person with 2 dogs & helper was 54,000pesos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Koala

Koala DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 3

Ch MacQueen finally someone is right on the mark about the cost of living in Dgte. I know this city (little village) pretty well now. First of all I came here at the young age of 26 yrs old in 1984 and have been here off and on ever since. Been living here permanently for 15 yrs now. I have seen a lot of changes some good some bad. Unfortunately or fortunately I still work as a Builder carpenter and joiner here. Dgte has been good to me regarding that aspect of my life.

My partner also works and we live off about $650 us a month living fairly high on the hog. We have our own block of apartments and you are right about your pricing for a 3 to 4 bedroom 18 to 30K pesos per month. I don't have to do a visa thing as I am on a permanent resident visa so that keeps the cost down.

You are not going to get much for 10k to 15k php in the inner part of the little village if you have a family and you still want a western standard living. IMOP

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86

9. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86

Do yourself a big flavor and head for the other side of the island. It is much cheaper, less crowded and more peaceful. However, if you miss the worst traffic jams you will ever find in a small town, people shoulder to shoulder and the ever present smell of sewers then Dumaguete is the place to be.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I liked the Occidental side for peacefulness and a lot of it is quite scenic but, I'm not retired and it is a bit too slow moving for me. I like the roads and there is quite a bit of improvement going on with the roads also. Of course I had no problem with the roads 50 km from Dumaguete either but they both exhibited the same problems that there was a lack of things like movie theatres. I like to see some movies on the big screen for the special effects and I go to the movies frequently.

• Like Like x 1