Dumaguete Info Search

Covid-19 Opinion

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Dutchie, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Has anyone read the EO that was supposedly published yesterday on the extension and downgrade to GCQ here in Negros Oriental...???

2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I stand by what I posted. The Swedes are now correcting for their mistake. How you can just simply ignore the death rate figures is unbelievable.

3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    In Japan it looks like things are not going too well. The article in the link talks about one of the islands opening too early. They did have a sick person from Wuhan come to visit and ended up being treated. That visitor may have started dthe whole ball rolling again.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/japanese-island-suffering-avoidable-second-100937097.html
    Some states in the US (aka Georgia) are opening up soon. I really hope that is not a mistake.
    My plan is to just stay at home for a little longer.

4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Please substantiate your statement with a link.

5. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    First, the Swedes are not correcting for their mistake. The statement saying they made a mistake is not substantiated in the news.

Second, they did not make a mistake. It is their country and they can make any decision they want subject only to their own judgement of what is a mistake and what is not.

Third, @djfinn6230 was correct in his analysis of the peak vs the wider flat curve. Although a bit long worded.

Fourth, Although hard to measure, there are casualties as a result of slowing down the economy. (Suicide, depression, 500 million people driven into poverty worldwide). It may very well be that Sweden is actually saving lives. The fewer lives lost as a result of a healthy economy may offset the additional deaths from the virus.

Finally, Sweden is implementing measures to slow down the spread of the virus. They are allowing their population to decide what those measures are while the government takes very strict measures to protect the older at risk population.

Here is a quote and a link:

The World Health Organization lauded Sweden as a “model” for battling the coronavirus as countries lift lockdowns — after the nation controversially refused restrictions.

Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said Wednesday there are “lessons to be learned” from the Scandinavian nation, which has largely relied on citizens to self-regulate.

I think there’s a perception out that Sweden has not put in control measures and just has allowed the disease to spread,” Ryan told reporters. “Nothing can be further from the truth.”

Ryan noted that instead of lockdowns, the country has “put in place a very strong public policy around social distancing, around caring and protecting people in long term care facilities.”

“What it has done differently is it has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate,” Ryan said. “In that sense, they have implemented public policy through that partnership with the population.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-lauds-sweden-as-model-for-resisting-coronavirus-lockdown/

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    The title of this thread "Covid-19 OPINIONS. People don't need to supply links to support their opinion unless they want to.

Do you have any citations or would you like to leave this as your opinion. By the way now that you have done some research you are more or less confirming what @Philpots said.
    SMH

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Check Dustin's posting under <<Negros Oriental General Community Quarantine - OFFICIAL RELEASES>>

My only question so far is "Are we still under the Pass system ???"
    I don't see anything in the EO 2020-29

8. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I was referring to the statement "Follow the news: Sweden...". Irrespective of the title of the thread, any reference in a post to the news written by others is not an opinion.

Please try to keep up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    In you previous post you quoted Philpots:
    "I stand by what I posted. The Swedes are now correcting for their mistake. How you can just simply ignore the death rate figures is unbelievable."
    He did not make any reference to an outside source.

That was posted by @hansie. It's truly a mystery to me why you challenged Philpots to provide a link to the news.

If you figure out where you're going or what you're doing let me know and I'll consider it.

I'm not a moderator so you don't have to accept my opinion here but;
    In the past you have taken quotes in a thread and modified the contents within the quote and then proceeded to attack the original poster. That's not a very good practice. Carry on.

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This thread is all over the place. No way I could salvage it by branching it off into new threads with all the different conversations going on here. Going to lock this one. Feel free to open new threads to carry on your conversations.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.