Dumaguete Info Search

Covid Updates NegOr, etc.

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Toto, Nov 24, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    And it's my understanding Covid fills the lungs with fluid and pneumonia can result, that it attacks the heart and many different parts of the body - so heart ailments get listed as comorbidities. So how many of the comorbidities in the data are caused by Covid? I dunno.

2. OP
    OP
    Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    [QUOTE="After announcing last week that there would be 60m vaccine shots for 30m Filipinos (two each), today NIATF has announced that 60m Filipinos will benefit from vaccination. That might be someone misunderstanding their own information, what what a farce![/QUOTE]

:angelic: I would read that as the plan is to vaccinate 60% of the population to achieve the threshold for herd immunity. :cat: As my wife says - I just think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  3. mykajabi77

mykajabi77 DI New Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +4 / 2
    Thank you for your much needed voice of reason on this forum, because there are many here who clearly desire to infect others with their anxiety.

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It is true that this virus attacks multiple organs and why many people who shrugged it off as 'just another flu' got it wrong.

In my view, a co-morbidity would need to be something the person had BEFORE catching the virus - otherwise everything that results would be a co-morbidity (as you are saying). If a healthy person gets Covid-19 and it kills him because of an effect on his lungs or heart or whatever, then it is a death down purely to Covid-19 but if he is already a known sufferer from a respiratory and/or cardiac condition then the resultant death from a failure in those systems attributed to Covid-19 would be due to a co-morbidity.

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    That seems the idea (as was fitting registration plates to vehicles!) but @Always a Poppy is correct that the figures seem not to add up - either 120 million doses for 60 million people or the 60 million quoted sufficient for only 30 million people.

If I had a shortage of vaccine I would use it on the front-liners (medical, police, army), the ill and/or obese, the working elderly (start 70+ and work down).

The non-working elderly would have to protect themselves and the young (excluding the ill as they are accounted for above) would be left to get natural immunity via exposure (and in so doing they would help build a total 60% or more herd immunity).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah, well the WHO also said that in the beginning of this that there was no human to human transmission, and they also say that wearing a mask in an otherwise healthy population is not the best, they also say that schools should be open. Like everything else, it is all over the map.

7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And you are entitled to your thoughts, but a person with lung cancer, chances are covid or not, see ya. Pneumonia in a person over the age of 90, probably the same result, covid or not. In these instances I would follow the money.

8. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    :angelic: I would read that as the plan is to vaccinate 60% of the population to achieve the threshold for herd immunity. :cat: As my wife says - I just think so.[/QUOTE]

I read again today 60m Filipinos, starting with police, NPA and other frontliners.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Hey Mr Pastrami, i tried to stop responding to your "only old people die.." rants five months ago, but you seem to have a problem accepting that ANYBODY can get it and ANYBODY can die. If you check news and studies, absolutely, more old people die than younger, but LOTS are dying and hundreds of millions of ALL AGES are catching it and passing it on to others of ALL AGES... Given the GROWING SURGES in Duma AND in cities around dumaguete in the last two weeks, i think it's time for you to expand your horizons and join those of us (particularly us old farts) who are watching the virus more closely. Chill <grin>

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    I read again today 60m Filipinos, starting with police, NPA and other frontliners.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, Inquirer:
    MANILA, Philippines — The government hopes to vaccinate for the new coronavirus 60 to 70 percent of all Filipinos — enough to trigger herd immunity — within three to five years, the chief of the COVID-19 task force said on Wednesday.

Speaking at a news briefing, Undersecretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said the government could only vaccinate 20 million to 30 million people a year, and he estimated that P73 billion would be initially spent for the effort, not only to buy the required two doses for each citizen but also to cover “ancillary costs,” such as syringes and mobilization.