Dumaguete Info Search

Dauin accident

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shadow, Jul 24, 2013.

1. London3

London3 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yesterday I also had the accident on the way from Bacong to Dmg. The driver ran away. From the police no reaction. The question is: ?who gave them licence?

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    The answer is - probably no-one. That's why they did a runner from the accident site.

3. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Aquiring a philippine drivers license does not involve any kind of driving test in most regions of the country and certainly not in Dumaguete. Aquiring a license involve passing a medical examination and a drug test, so at least its assured, that the driver is not a drug addict, but that’s all.

The license expire after only a few years and must then be renewed, which cost (by local standards) a lot of money. That’s the main reason, why many people here drive without a valid drivers license. Now I am not defending this and saying, its good. But in reality its more of a tax collection issue than a safety issue, since authorities do not by any means secure, that people acquiring or renewing a drivers license actually know how to drive.

5-10 years ago the whole area of Negros Oriental was like one big training area for first time drivers. You still see some cars travelling on the national highway or other major roads at 20 km/h, because the driver is nervous and have no idea how to drive a car. But its somewhat less, than it used to be.

4. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    They don't do the drug testing anymore.

5. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Yes the good old days where you earned your driver’s license, not just paid for it, a woman I know stood in line for 2 hours walked out with a license and never been on a bike, she spent the next 2 weeks learning.

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    If the other driver "ran away", did you keep their bike/car? I would if they abandoned it in front of me. :smile:

I would then promptly "donate" it to the nearest police station. :smile:

7. Polygon

Polygon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe one has the right to detain "arrest" the vehicle until the the police arrive to conduct their report.

It is an offence to leave the scene of an incident unless you feel endangered, in which case you are entitled to surrender at the police staion in the next district?

The conflict would arise that you may have to flee on foot to satisfy the law at the same time as protecting yourself, perhaps that is what happened in this case?

8. Polygon

Polygon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hear you; all too often people use the word "accident"!
    The correct term is an "incident", or collision/crash etc. describing the nature of what can be observed to have happened.
    An "accident" cannot be established until an investigation has been competently completed.
    Most of us would be angered to have the tragic loss of our loved ones dismissed as an accident to suit the convenience of responsibility!

9. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Ahhh, so you are saying the driver of the truck may have headoned the ezride on purpose!

Hmm, never gave it much thought, but I suppose it is possible.

Larry

10. Polygon

Polygon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How many times has a bus or truck overtaken head-on and forced you off the road?
    It may be that the "easy-ride" failed to get out of the way in time?
    Or the alleged consumption of the alcohol may have caused the scenario you describe here?
    For example; falling asleep behind the wheel is not an "accident"if caused by negligence; right?
    Or driving a vehicle in a dangerous manner?
    Or driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition?
    None of these are an "accident"; are they?