Dumaguete Info Search

Degree vs Experience

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by TheDude, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Sorry Dustin but that is not what comes across from certain members here at times :wink: Now for me Homer out of Here..jpg Because moving away from things in the Philippines in General and Dumaguete in particular is not what most of us are here for :rolleyes:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What to most of the members here know about the different sectors in the Philippines? Aside from resorts, bars, restaurants and an occasional tradesmen what does the average expat know about local hiring practices?

I'm not sure I follow on this one.

3. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    I cannot answer for the hypothetical but I can talk about applying to IBM for an ENGINEER/SCIENTIST position and I can tell you that the person with a degree will be given an application to fill out and MAY get an interview while the other, with 5 years experience in the college of hard knocks will be not even be given an application form to fill out. This is partially due to selectivity, however, it also has a lot to do with labor laws. An engineer will be paid a salary as a professional and thus is what they call an “exempt” employee. Such employees are not required to be paid overtime. “Exempt from overtime” to be sure. The government will require a sound basis for IBM or any company to classify an employee “exempt” and not have to pay overtime, the most important being that the employee is paid to make decisions if high potential impact to the company and a 4 year degree us a must without otherwise having to go through an entire maze of justifications that never gets accepted. This is to protect those folks who have all this lab experience but can’t do calculus and chemistry and who get hired on to a company who calls them an “engineer” because they can handle a soldering iron, making the employee happy and feeling important on the cheap and not having to pay them overtime. You might “think” you are a professional or call yourself a “professional” or are just perceived to be a professional but the government in the USA will not let you be PAID as a professional unless you have a degree. Many a senior electronics lab technician has claimed not to went the degree and be called an engineer because they can earn more if working a lot of overtime. True. But they are usually comparing against engineers fresh out of college with no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    We're still totally blowing past each other. I get it, my last post was too long.

For example...

I mean, if somebody were to ask me for advice as to how my brother became a journeyman electrician, I wouldn’t be telling him to go to college to become an electrical engineer instead (a highly prized occupation in the China IT industry by the way).

Which is the totally opposite of what I have said I would advise in this thread...

As a bonus, there is even the bit about minimum wage. Work a minimum wage job to get that ground-level view before you go to school for the same sort of thing. It's not the K-12 -> college conventional view, but I haven't been at that stage for quite some time.

I just can't screw my thinking up enough to come up with a scenario where a US citizen (assuming the son was adopted and gained citizenship) would come to the Philippines for school. Raise of hands of someone who would do that in their own youth. I wouldn't.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Application forms. lol I remember those. They don't exist anymore.

https://careers.ibm.com/ShowJob/Id/439108/Software-Developer/?lang=en
    https://qz.com/858194/ibm-employees-without-college-education/

I don't buy the "college degree is a requirement" at IBM...or any company.

Edit: I missed your "Engineer/Scientist" part. However, I suspect there are exceptions to that college degree requirement for even that.

I am familiar with the overtime exemptions...but I'm not aware of any exemption due to education level.

I likely would have begged for it if I were in my youth....though I would have likely regretted that later on.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Salary in the US is largely driven by supply and demand. Amazon pays well for their programmers, but very little for the warehouse workers. The difference is that the tech workers give Amazon a competitive advantage. Amazon wouldn't put in an archaic hiring / salary scheme if this scheme would affect their ability to hire the best. It's fitting that you would be citing IBM as an example, a tech company which may be on its last legs (they just massively overpaid for Red Hat, let's see if that works out.)

The other big tech companies don't require degrees and certainly the smaller companies which compete for employees don't require them. Keep in mind that the US is pegged out at full employment right now. Amazon and Google just announced between them close to 50K new jobs in NYC and Amazon another 25K outside of DC. Where are they going to get these workers? And there's a massive bulge of baby boomers which are on their way out of the workforce.

But this is speculation. We have anecdotes, but actual numbers would go further. I can post all sorts of accounts where the big tech companies don't require a degree, but this is just more anecdotes. I'm guessing IBM was different back in the day, but the landscape is changing fast.

7. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Wrye, my retirement is quite recent so we aren’t talking about ancient times. You are speaking in far too general terms. If you are applying for an exempt position, then the company must be in a position to classify you as exempt without getting into trouble with the Department of Labor. This is based on US laws, however, EU laws may even be more onerous. Of course, no one can require a person to have a degree as long as the company’s legal department is satisfied that you can be justified as “exempt” but normally that means, in this case, NOT JUST ANY DEGREE but a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical, mechanical, or civil engineering from a USA accredited university. Interestingly, Philippine engineering degrees are not normally accepted in the USA although nursing BSRN degrees are for some reason. Russian and former east bloc degrees may be accepted if properly investigated. But you can look at your ads or whatever, I was in a hiring position there before I retired and the IBM legal department requirements must be followed for “real” engineer positions, ie, legally exempt from overtime.

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm assuming you are talking about the FSLA overtime coverage?

Yeah, you have to prove they are "real" office/non-manual positions and are getting paid $100k or more. That's all it takes to be considered "exempt" from overtime pay. The open position itself is going to be either exempt or not exempt based off of the primary duties and pay. I'm not following on why a person's experience or education level would change that at all. Can you explain?

9. OP
    OP
    TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    [DELETED]

How did exempt status even get to be a thing in this thread? We were talking about degree vs experience in getting hired. :wink:

Edit: Actually, location is really important. A dev job in mid U.S. may not pay anything close to what the same job might pay in NYC or SF. The same jobs in Europe have very different pay as well.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's what I am curious about.