Dumaguete Info Search

Dengue Fever 2nd Time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

No, mixing sugar and vinegar will not produce CO2. However, if you mix vinegar and baking soda you will get carbon dioxide....though I'm not sure how prolonged the reaction is. My personal, non-scientific, hypothesis is that the reaction will only last for a couple minutes, at best. But: Since CO2 is heavier than the ambient air it should remain in the cup/bottle for quite some time....given it is not a windy day. Might be worth a try. (make sure you don't seal the bottle as it might explode from the pressure.)

I think the yeast/sugar mix will result in many hours or days (depending on how much you put in there) of CO2 production as these are living organisms feeding off of the sugar. So even on windy days you will have the yeast producing CO2 to replenish the stuff that gets blown away.

There are other ways to create carbon dioxide by most of them involve burning something, using extreme heat or using other hard to find (in the Philippines) micro-organisms.

• Like Like x 1
  2. moveingon

moveingon DI Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2
    I UNDERSTAND THE LOCAL CURE FOR DENGUE FEVER IS THE JUICE FROM PAPAYA LEAVES DRINK 3 GLASES A DAY'

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yet locals regularly die from it. "Cure" is not the right word. Leads people to think that Papaya leave juice will actually cure it...which it won't. I have no problem with using home remedies but people need to realize that it is no where close to 100 percent and if it gets bad you need to see a doctor.

P.S. Glad you were finally able to log in again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    As you know now Pat it was not Dengue in the End but the Symptoms were leading that way.
    Mama went in at 94 and will come out later today at 95, my bit here is finished now apart from the payment. So I post a 48.000 peso Photo of the changing of the guard,
    left hand side is Outgoing carers from the day Shift, Right is the incoming carers for the last night Shift.

Of course we will never tell her the cost to have so many family around her for this Photo but i know she will keep it in a prominent place bless her, She is one in a million and worth every penny of the Final cost. Like most things it is not just the Hospital Cost, there is Medication, Food, time and effort by all to get patients well enough to go home. MAMA.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yeah I bought an electric zapper too but it seems to mainly attract the flying bugs however ive gotten a few mosquitos :smile: My wife and I always sleep under a mosquito net at night.

6. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The Electric Zappers do not attract Mosquitoes, they are only attracted by the Carbon Dioxide you exhale from your breath, Mosquito Nets, Fans and the CO2 Traps along with some deterrents like Citronella Candles, although my Wife has never heard of these so I am unsure if they are available there like they are here in Oz?

Also here we use Mosquito Coils and burn one at night which repels Mosquitoes. You can grow certain plants under your window which will ward off the dreaded Mozzies also.

But the Electric Zappers attract Insects that are attracted by light, so that will keep down those insects, or if you are bothered when you eat with Moths bombarding you, simply fit a Yellow Light Globe above the table and a White Globe outside, the bugs will swarm to the White light and 99% will leave you be whilst eating under the Yellow Globe... :D

Dengue-proof your home

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    mosquito coils are readily available here, and are very inexpensive way of controlling mossies inside....
    not much good outdoors but

8. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Good to know I can buy them there, I had planned on buying a load of them here and throwing into the Balikbayan box I am having sent over to follow me there. :smile:

I asked my Wife and Family about Citronella Oil Burners there on the Bamboo Sticks and it drew blank expressions :confused:
    We have them here in Oz and they are perfect for outdoor areas, they are a simple design and involves the use of Bamboo, so I am SURE they would be available in Phils? o_O

Citronella Flares & Oils;
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/outdoor-living/insect-control/citronella-flares-oils

Also available in Candles in Terracotta Pots for outdoor use;
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/outdoor-living/insect-control/citronella-candles

Attached Files:

9. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    yea, im sure i have seen the citronella flares here somewhere, just not sure where...

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Th
    There is also a new mosquito virus in town, chikungunya also known as ross river fever, symptoms, starts with cramps in your hands then to your whole body, fever feeling totaly sh*t, i have this now, just prior to my car accident, its from australia , can last from weeks to years, s