Dumaguete Info Search

Designing a cheap house

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by Dutchie, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I've been a little busy today, trying to design a small/tiny but efficient and livable house.
    It is meant as an exercise to determine if investing in "affordable rental housing" could generate a decent return on investment.
    The aim is to keep the building cost as low as possible without compromising too much on reasonable comfort.
    And yes I know I am not an architect or engineer, and decent technical drawings will be needed if a decision is made to actually build, what I did is just meant as a very basic layout.
    Size is about 33 sqm (355 sqft) for the ground floor (excluding porch) and some 24 sqm (258 sqft) for the upstairs.

All comments/suggestions are welcome, and I have two questions myself:
    1. I am familiar with the 20-30k per sqm price level that contractors like to throw around, but a lot less familiar with what part of that would be the cost of materials only. If anyone can shed some light on that I would be grateful.
    2. I realize that for the whole idea to be succesful you need to consider who you'd want to rent to, obviously most foreigners would consider my design too small, especially the bedrooms, and they wouldn't like having the bathroom downstairs if the bedrooms are upstairs. On the other hand, many locals may consider my design as attractive but possibly too expensive. I am thinking that in order to attract renters I would have to keep the rent (and thus the cost of building it) down. Balancing these things will be crucial and any thoughts that may help me make a good decision will be very welcome.

2. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    I think the first item has to be location as no good building anything unless you have the correct location for what you propose to build.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I hope my comments are helpful;

I purchased a tiny house 4 years ago and have been trying to make it extremely efficient and livable. My house is 18 sqm downstairs and 18 sqm upstairs. By that comparison, the house you are designing is far from small and I assure you there are many foreigners renting tinier houses than the one you are building. Thus it is quite "do-able" and whether you rent it or not will depend on price, location and your sales ability.

When you are building, consider that anything you put in the house that "can" be broken by tenants "will" be broken so with taps and toilet seats for example: Either go all out for the most expensive, heavy duty stuff that even Superman could not break or put in the cheapest stuff that is cheap to replace when broken. Remember that all filipinas clean with muriatic, and muriatic EATS stainless steel (or at least it does with the cheap stainless they sell here) so that's another reason why it is wise to go with cheap sh*t for the fixtures and replace them often. Thats my 2 cents worth.

4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You should be able to take what you've drawn up to an architectural firm to get blue prints done that you would need for your building permits for a couple hundred dollars. I think you would find expats would be interested in renting a place the size you are looking at. Depends a lot on location as well.

I'm not sure about contractor prices or how much of that is for materials. We hired folks and oversaw the work as well as sourcing and purchasing all materials ourselves. If you have the time, patience, basic construction know how and able to read drawings (especially rebar plans) you could save money this way. One thing though is tools and equipment as most folks show up with little more than a hammer. I'm willing to bet you can rent concrete mixers, vibrator and compactors. I bought my own as I figure I will use them again.

I noticed you have a retaining wall going around the lot. That will add a good bit of cost to the overall build. Poured concrete would be the best way but if you decided to go with 6" block you will need to get a better quality block made than what is normally available and definitely fill the cells with concrete with vertical and horizontal rebar to tie things together. I used concrete filled block with grade and tie beams for the perimeter fence but when I bought the lot behind the original one I poured concrete, should have done that for the fence as well as I brought our lot up over 4' with fill.

I would recommend using EVG panels instead of 4" block (assuming the standard concrete beam and column build). The initial cost of the panels is more than block but you can throw them all up in a day once a crew understands how its done (youtube has a few videos on how it all comes together or I can go into more detail). Plus it is much easier/faster for roughing in your plumbing and electric. You will end up saving quite a bit on labor as well as cement/sand for the render.

Windows is another thing to consider...the common windows with the little glass panes that open and close with an aluminum lever are really cheap, but the quality is not great. There are a number of places I've seen in Dumaguete that custom make aluminum windows...not sure the cost as I used a shop in Tanjay but cheaper than what you would expect from back home.

Are you looking at metal or wood roof trusses? Wood is obviously cheaper and no welding, but eventually may have to be replaced/repaired. Hiring one of the local roofing companies would probably run around $1500 for a decent roof with metal trusses. Could be less as it does not look like you have much pitch and depends on the roofing material you use. We went and bought all the metal and did the trusses ourselves and then had the roofing supplier have their folks do the roofing.

For electric I would make sure that it is a properly grounded system (which you rarely see); it does not cost that much more to run a grounding wire. Make sure the service coming in is properly sized...undersized conductors will cause you many issues. I would recommend installing enough receptacles, the design firm will think Filipino style and next thing you know you will only have one in each room...every wall at a minimum, but go off of your furniture layout for exact locations. If you are looking at expats I would install the universal style receptacles. They cost about 5X more but folks will appreciate being able to plug their stuff in from home.

I would not recommend using the marine grade plywood for the ceilings...plywood is cheaper but I would use hardiflex or a similar product. It is tough to work with but easy to mud and tape and stands up better to moisture/humidity.

Those are a few things off the top of my head. Best of luck if you push forward with your project.

Shawn

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    IMHO I would miss a T&B in the second floor. I would recommend to put a powder room at the ground floor and a T&B on the second floor if it should be cheaper.

6. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    The older you get, the less likely you are to rent any home that has stairs. Guarantee you would be limiting your potential 4ner renters by 75%. Also I have built (overseen) construction on 3 homes here and can tell you it costs more to build "up" than stay on 1 level... Better ask a lot of questions and think very hard on your marketing plan before building anything like your drawings IMHO. PM me if you have any questions I can answer. Good luck on the project....

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't care for two stories either. Unless there was a basement with a secret entrance, sound proofing and a tunnel that leads off the property. I'd pay significantly more per month for a place like that. :sneaky:

8. Chiefeng55

Chiefeng55 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I like the idea. Instead cheap you should say inexpensive.
    The house should have good insulation. Windows with screens.
    Being older I'm not a fan of two floors. Especially if the head is down stairs.
    Single level in my opinion would be best. If not you need a CR upstairs.
    Just my two cents.
    Just for grins perhaps you could have shares to sell in your venture. Or build to any stage of construction so it can be customized to the buyer.