Dumaguete Info Search

Event Dgte Job Fair Failure

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by PatO, May 6, 2019.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    The May 3 online Negros Chronicle reported the last Wednesday Labor Day job fair at Rob. Mall wasn’t very successful. Of the 4,262 job openings, only 10 were hired on the spot from the 1,434 applicants and of them only 798 were qualified. The blame was passed to the Dept of Labor not communicating with the Dept of Education regarding what skills would be needed for future graduates. I can’t see any short term solution other than pushing Mandarin so maybe the job market will pick up (if) the Chinese take control.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Well they did get 1,434 applicants and of them with 798 qualified. The employers only hired 10. If the employers want to hire for 4,262 openings they would need about 341,000 qualified applicants. If the same ratio of unqualified people showed they'd need about 610,000. They might have to look elsewhere.

I don't know what type of people they were looking for, call center, overseas domestic?

Depending on who the employers are people just may not want to work for them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I would love to see the actual job openings. How many of these jobs required you to be 25 - 32, over 5' tall, female, hair not past waist, landing strip...

Unless these were technical jobs with specific requirements, I'm skeptical that qualifications would make a difference. The employers don't need people that bad. Any company here actually making money should be able to hire all 1,434 applicants and see how they work out.

After reviewing a sampling of jobs online, I can say that staying at home would be better and that the applicants must have showed up for free stuff. Some of these gigs pay stupid low. Why? Because that's the job market? Even taking some of these jobs would be stupid hiring stupid.

One example in a field I know is a gig for a web developer requiring a "computer science degree." This degree is meaningless here. The range of quality of the education is so wide that you would probably need to require specific schools. Anyone who actually received a quality education in this field won't be showing up for a job fair anyways.

There are people here who can put themselves in any starting role through sheer force of will. That won't show up on a bio data. Hiring is broken everywhere, even in the US. This job fair is just a breakdown on the part of everyone. But businesses don't know how to hire anyways.

Anything which works is despite their bumbling efforts. The more effort they put into hiring, the more they'll screw things up. They should definitely not be doing job fairs. Good hires are those who slipped through the cracks. Someone screwed up at their job of screwing thing up and they let someone through who turns out to be a great employee.

It's a paradox. The people who are the worst at their jobs in the hiring department should be kept on. People who are the best, should be fired or moved elsewhere. You're only going to get good hires when you have horrible people working a broken system. Really good people working a horrible system is just going to be a disaster (not the good kind.) Did that make any sense?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Jollibee at the mall was very crowded that day. So there was one winner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    Wow, only 10 relatives showed up?

• Like Like x 2