Dumaguete Info Search

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    borrowing successful solutions

I both agree and disagree with you on different parts of your comments: Theres only 2 things you can choose here and i dont want to be harsh, its either you put up the filipino way or go back to where you come from" I took the approach when I move here that I had two choices, to change to adapt to the culture, or try to get a nation of people to adapt to my culture. I chose to adapt. But over time I have seen some approaches to problems that just do not solve the problem.. that are inherent in the culture. There is another alternative.

I was speaking to a 24 yo lady, that was almost 9 months pregnant (never been to the doctor so she did not know when she was due) who had 3 children already, and one X boyfriend of on two children and one current bf of one child and her soon to be born child. She told me life was going to be better in 5 years. I asked what she was going to do in the next five years to make her life better and she had no answer except to live with her aging parents and sit on a chair... her current routine. Now if this was what her choice and it did not impact me in a big way the that is fine. However she wanted 2000 P from me for her delivery of her baby, apparently the father who was still around had was not able to contribute. So there was an impact on me, because I have a soft heart and I am a foreigner that is so how expected to solve the inherent cultural problems here.

I think that the Filipinos culture can open its eyes to solutions that have worked elsewhere that may make this nation as a whole a better place to live and raise a family. To say that there are no better solutions in life and you are just going to accept and continue on practices that do not improve you life is very limiting (this is true of all of us as individuals and cultures). Just maybe borrowing successful solutions from other parts of the world should be considered.

2. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You just finished telling people to respect Filipinos and you turn around and p*ss all over Americans WTF?

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's called a "double standard". It's common throughout the world.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    And nowhere so predominant as in the Philippines!

Larry

5. Rodneyemr

Rodneyemr DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I would love to find a nutritionist here in Dumaguete. Can anybody recommend one?

6. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    if you scroll up and read my previous comments, I was basing my judgement from the current obesity rate and America ranked first. so whats the big fuss? tell me, how many foreigners have you seen with bloated tummies and looking unhealthy compared to the Filipinos? and next is, how can you remove rice from a Filipino's daily meal? rice is like potatoes to you foreigners. hows that even possible? you are asking a fish to be taken out of the water! what is possible is for a Filipino to buy brown/ black rice but that's about 300-400 pesos per 5 kgs, a 50 kgs sack of rice cost about 1,800 pesos (white rice with high gi content), for a vast majority of poor Filipino families, which one can you afford to feed of course the rest of the family, a 50 kgs fo 1,800 pesos WHITE RICE (LAST FOR A MONTH), OR A 50 KGS 4,000 PESOS BROWN RICE( DOUBLE THE PRICE). point is, before you start gasbagging the Filipino diet you, for one start have a good look at yourself and your lifestyle then we wouldn't have this conversation :-)

7. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    the only solution that I can see if you don't mind me saying it Dave is spending money. for a good-healthy diet comes a price. fruits and veggies in Philippines are becoming expensive and daily supplements (vitamins) are even more expensive especially to the poor Filipino families. no matter how much you try to educate them, they will listen but for them to do it is another question. When I was doing my internship as a nurse, we used to go to barangays to teach these Filipino families about proper nutrition and contraception even the idea of contraception was hard for them to take in unless they get it for free.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Did someone mention GASBAGGING? A number of years ago my wife went to the municipal health office in order to inquire about birth control. She was told that ANY type of birth control would render her IMMEDIATELY and PERMANENTLY STERILE!

So just where do you suppose those negative ideas of contraceptives came from?

Could it have been Filipinos? Nah, probly not.

GAS what?

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  9. Earl65

Earl65 Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is not common in Philippines but all the countries suffer in this problem. People don't care themselves in this matter and eat junk food in their daily routine but at the end they suffer many problems like diabetes so try to avoid any junk food for better health.

10. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    We all spend... it depends on how you spend.

I think that money is spent _ it is just often spent on very short range solutions... like smoking because it feels good and relaxes you until you need the next cigarette, or drinking to dull the pain of life, instead of looking for solutions to problems within your life. Long range solutions could include living a longer life by spending the money on items that will extend your life. It may be that Filipinos do not desire a longer life, that could be a cultural thing too. I know that fruit and veggies are expensive here, but I think just removing the expenditures on alcohol and cigarettes from the family budget which are harmful for your life, may help provide a budget for child's education or some other preventative medical treatment.

I was once told by an American woman that adjusting to a higher lifestyle is easier than adjusting to a lower lifestyle, I found that to be true. I think if you are living in Australia, you are probably adjusting to a higher lifestyle, which may someday make you look like many other foreign woman weight wise. I control my weight and have been repeated told by Filipinos that I need to put on weight, although I am just slightly higher that prescribed height/weight ratios of the western cultures. So even weight is a cultural thing sometimes.