Dumaguete Info Search

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Apr 13, 2013.

1. sandgroper

sandgroper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually nice sherwood, I believe the main two reasons we foreigners are here is because of:- #1 the lovely ladies like yourself, and #2 the low cost of living compared to our own Countries.

2. sandgroper

sandgroper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I rather like the brown and red rice and also the Indian white rice.

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Very interesting thread, thanks Wrye and Sherwood for all the info. For starters, the 'traditional Filipino meals' of the past were far more likely to involve vinegars than sugar. The modern influences have added a substantial amount of sugar to the Filipino (and almost world-wide) diets. Saw a documentary recently about an old Filipino still maintaining what must have been a hundred different types of vinegars for decades that he uses in his traditional restaurant (Pampanga if I remember correctly).
    That said, anyone not convinced of the dangers of the evil poison - sugar....Channel 7 here in Australia ran a very compelling story on their Sunday Night program ( a 60 Minute equivalent) about sugar and the terrible effects it wages on world health. The link below leads to three segments of the story - all worth watching. I personally was so impressed I stopped at least 75% of sugar intake. Never, ever, add it to anything....no drinks containing sugar (including those fruit juices I thought were healthy but loaded with it......generally avoid sugar at every opportunity. And within months lost several kilos myself....not that I was fat...am reasonably fit for my age....but it sure made a difference. Feel much better too....I'd liken it to how I felt in my twenties when I quit smoking forever....

Sweet poison - Sunday Night - Channel 7 - Yahoo!7 TV - Yahoo!7 TV

4. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    I must admit getting sugar free bread here is hard, yes the American style bread is closer to what we have in Australia, is the sugar content in food have something to do with tooth decay here?, in even very young children I see it, I see many pretty young ladies well pretty until they smile.
    I have swung my asawa over to a nice healthy meat salad sandwich for lunch, Ausie oats for breakfast or boiled egg toast and hot chocolate, even eating flavoured yogurt now over to home maid plain yoghurt, it’s been hard, even helps the electricity bill, instead of cooking 3 times a day now only once.

5. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Basmati rice is low GI but finding it in Philippines is hard and when it comes to price, majority of the people can't afford this. I think I saw some at robinsons supermarket

6. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Hahaha why? What happens when they smile? No front teeth? Lol. Must be lack of proper hygiene

7. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Hemm no Asians living in Australia still eat as they have done in their own country, shops like big w and Coles who have catered for the Asian market have 25kg bags of white rice on the shelves as a matter of a fact there is an Asian Isle with rice paster etc.

8. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Thats true, I like the basmati rice sold in Coles :-), you can't think of rice anymore if you have a freshly steamed chilled prawns infront of you can u? That's one thing i love about living in Australia, the seafoods!!!

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Likely a bit of both a high sugar intake and bad hygiene. Dental hygiene is something that hasn't been brought up here concerning sugar intake but it is a major cause of cavities and other oral problems. Something else to consider when choosing your diet.

Sugar has been banned from my house here for over 2 years now. Absolutely nothing cooked in my kitchen can have sugar added. My X wife was a filam (raised in the US), when she cooked filipino food here it was awesome. One of two things she was really good at. Since we divorced, and I moved from olongapo to dumaguete, finding local food not loaded with sugar can be rather hard. I would like to note that sugar is a much larger ingredient in the visayas compared to most other places I have been. It's a shame because I really like most filipino food when sugar is not added. (I get enough sugar from my rum and cokes. Don't need it in my food.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Re the fish I think the problem is the fish are not gutted, what I was taught is once a fish is caught it should be gutted / cleaned out within 2 hours