Dumaguete Info Search

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Apr 13, 2013.

1. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Another derailed tread, how could I have known that I will end up reading about "Acuaphonics"...

2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    At least it is somehow connected to the original thread. Healthier to eat food you grow yourself.

3. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    I agree it is still connected

4. eviethyer

eviethyer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Diabetes is a very dangerous diseases, and in Philippines its really booming now a days the health authorities of Philippines have to take some serious steps for this otherwise the death ratio with diabetes will extremely high.

5. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    you're wrong about saving money....

Sugar is added to most foods because it has an effect on the brain similar to narcotics and makes the food more addictive. Both sugar and salt are added (which increases BP in many people) because they are preservatives and extend shelf life, so BOTH of these ingredients actually result in MORE profit, not less.

I am not sure why you don't see more healthy food choices in the R.P. Probably one reason is that they are more expensive, but another might be that Filipinos are not educated enough to know what's good for them or they simply rely on God or their taste buds. Healthy foods are simply not available except in the larger cities. If you give salty or sugary food to most animals they will not eat it. But fat they will.
    Man is genetically programmed to crave these additives even though they are not good for one's health.

6. curveball_inside

curveball_inside DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do eat white rice - and like it, but I do plan on cutting back or switching to brown rice. I also like the taste of the bread here. Still, it's nice to be reminded of what foods can cause trouble. I offset the bad by growing into a non-smoker and non-drinker years ago - glad I had the will-power to do so. I guess I'll see how well I do with rice. :smile:.

The OP provided a good service by bringing it to our attention - that's my take, anyway. It's a shame this thread turned to crap by the insults. I like it here in the RP, the good and the bad. I love the city of Dumaguete.

7. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    in the USA at least

You have choice to eat healthy or not. There is no other Country that has such a plethora of food choices and many supermarket sections are devoted strickly to diabetic foods. Also the supplement industry in the USA is very big and there are many choices for non prescriptions supplements to control blood glucose.
    The USA has one of the strongest food labeling laws. It is against the law to sell food that is not labeled showing the contents, ingredients (must be in order of percentage in the food) and an analysis of component nutrients-carbs, fats, sat fats, etc. In the Philippine you can sell food without any label as to contents or even false information as to contents. Yesterday I bought a small packet of mixed nuts at Robinsons that listed almonds as the first ingredient. This must have been the companies'-gold brand/Robinsons method of screwing people because the price was high as it would be for almonds. In opening the package I found 3-4 almonds and the rest peanuts. Here you open a can of mackeral and it is 1/3 sauce with the contents only occupying like 60% of the can. You cannot do that in the USA, you would be sued and out of business and the customers would return the food to the store, many of them.
    McDonalds in the USA gives a printout of all their foods nutrient composition. The USA has actually done many things to halt the spread of obesity. But I agree many Americans are just valueless idiots and raise their children as valueless idiots, that is why the Country is spinning downhill fast.

8. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    You are again hyping about the USA, the leader Nation of the World, the Country that brought all that Fast Food Crap to the very last corner of this Planet. I make your Country responsible for almost everything that gone wrong with Eating habits, look at the way your are consuming Meats, there is no other Country that uses so much of it per Head a year.
    Look at your Softdrink Manufacturers or Donuts, that's where the clue is why there is so much Diabetes and bad Teeth, that your Companies, after the War got the best deals from the Philippines comes as no surprise, your Country did probably not even had to ask for all the favors they got from the Government here, I am certain that there were many Spanish/Filipinos Families that were only to happy to get a good slice of the Deal along with all the Big Names of US Manufacturers...

9. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The purpose of my post was not...

to "hype the US" but simply to refute you false statement that the USA has done nothing to improve the dietary habits of it's Citizens, obviously false.
    You are blinded by the axe you have to grind against the USA, not sure why you have it, care to tell us?
    I am no fan of the USA that's for sure, but the truth is the truth and the facts are the facts. To assuage your hurt feelings, I can say that companies in the USA are same as companies here in Philippines, they will strive to improve their profits. If that means adding sugar, salt and other cr*p additives to foods, that's what most of them will do.

10. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Yes, today most of the Companies would do the same, but the US Companies started it, in the last 20 years the example of this kind of Food stuff has taken over the World while the Inventors of it have at home started (under great pressure, not on their own free will) to take measures to get healthier. But the US still has the most obese Population, why is that so? Is it because of a healthy Live style...