Dumaguete Info Search

Do signal boosters work here?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Yrotmaharg, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Yrotmaharg

Yrotmaharg DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi guys,
    We moved to a house on Martisan Beach, not that far out from Dumaguete, but our Globe and Smart cell phone signals and Globe LTE pocket wifi fluctuate at best. I remember our IT guy at my old job installing a repeater in our office for a better cell signal. Does anyone know if those work here? Would it help with a wifi internet signal? If I bought one on Amazon in the US, would it work here? (a friend is coming to visit soon) If so, would you recommend a specific one?
    Thanks for your help!
    Victoria

2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sounds like a question for these guys. They answer emails in a day or two. UPLift Health

3. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    Short answer is yes. need to know the location of your nearest cell site and get a directional antenna like a yagi or dish. maybe have to put it on a mast and aim it at the tower attach it to a bidirectional signal booster that works with the frequencies and modulation ( 3G or 4G LTE ) LTE has a penetration problem getting through buildings and trees and such. So If you can get a line of site from antenna to cell tower you will be good. I think there is a local company that does this type of work. Maybe ask a Globe Technician when you see one around or try talking to the technician at the cell tower. Maybe they can hook you up.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I tried a signal booster a couple years back and it did work. BUT if there are a lot of people closer to the tower using a lot of bandwidth then you still get slow Internet. Stronger signal but just as slow. What it does help with is reducing packet loss and dropped downloads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Yrotmaharg

Yrotmaharg DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the replies. I actually found out today that Globe DSL works around here, but my landlord would have to sign a contract for two years, and we're only here for 4-5 months. :-( I'm crossing my fingers, and in the meantime, I'll look around to see where our nearest cell tower is.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yup, the laws of physics apply even in the Philippines. :wink:

7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,361 / 1,256
    I'll agree the laws of physic do apply.
    Darwins theories however DO NOT.
    No awards are given.
    Maybe they are just "out of stock" .
    :deadhorse:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Aye! remembering though "Murphy's law" is always around :happy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've seen plenty of people winning awards on the roadways in the Philippines. There are just so many people competing for the award that it takes some pretty outlandish behavior to be awarded one. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Wouldn't that be the tombstone awards?

• Agree Agree x 1