Dumaguete Info Search

Emergency Do you have any pesos

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by grandpainak, Aug 16, 2020.

1. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. OP
    OP
    grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Here is a copy and past of the yahoo/news article.

""By Ditas Lopez
    Banks in the Philippines warn their cash flow may be reduced by as much as 4 trillion pesos ($82 billion) should a bill that seeks to delay loan payments by a year becomes a law.

The plan could result in “massive liquidity crunch” of 2 trillion to 4 trillion pesos, or 20%-40% of outstanding loans, according to a document from the Bankers Association of the Philippines. This followed warnings from the central bank and a business group.

“New lending would dry up; worthy borrowers deserving of new funds would not get them,” the nation’s largest group of lenders said. Smaller banks may not survive the financial squeeze, putting depositors’ money at “undue risk,” it said.

A pandemic relief bill passed by the House of Representatives proposes a year-long loan payment holiday, while the Senate’s version suggests a one-month reprieve, according to the Bankers Association, which supports the latter.

Lawmakers from both chambers of Congress must come up with a unified measure before it’s sent for President Rodrigo Duterte’s final approval.""

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Do you think this will reduce property values more with people not being able to borrow?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It was just a matter of time. Foreclosures going on or loan payment holiday, bad news for the banks either way, equals more bad news for the economy. The elected 'Leaders' did it to the country. Back to a cash based society for a while.

This is what they meant when they began saying, 'The cure could be worse than the virus.'

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I cited recently here the cases of Cyprus and Greece, where depositors woke up one day to find that 10% or so of their savings held with financial institutions had been skimmed off by the governments to pay for sovereign debt. Make of that what you will as I am going to say no more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so i did not see your cyprus/greece post. banks here have a deposit insurance up to 500P per account (i think). i keep a signficant deposit here (enought to live for a few months) but i do all my credit card business and other transactions stateside using the internet. banks here are are just a mayonnaise jar for me.

would love to get input from other posters on their feelings about the risk here under current circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In my opinion, I would say the larger banks, BDP, BPI, Metro, Security, Landbank, Veterans are probably ok, but if you have anything in a Rural Bank or know someone who does, I'd be getting out of it. They have usually been the ones to go into receivership even when the economy was good in Philippine standards.

Oh and the PDIC covers P500,000, probably just a typo on your part.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    All 'guarantees' are dependent on the institution having the cash available to pay out. And, an important point to remember, the greater mass of a population cares little about the wealthiest few (which in most countries are probably people who have more than a month's living expenses in savings) and would not remove a government that failed to pay back thousands to the 'losers'.

10. hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    comforting