Dumaguete Info Search

Do you think the sea front (of blvrd) can be restored back to its prime state?

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by Jopliniac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That's because these people were expecting too much like they use to in their country. Rhoody was right about behavior, Some of our citizens needed discipline. But also education coz no matter how you discipline these people, if they don't know the value of cleanliness, everything will go for naught. Countrymen who lived abroad even for a short period of time will certainly notice the difference and would certainly make some complaints. But losing respect would be too much. There is no one to be blamed but Us, the locals. But again, Blaming and helping are 2 different things. So instead of just talking and blaming us about it here, why not let your, Our sentiments be brought to the attention of the Officials and the public as a whole and not to the foreign readers of these forum.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Being treated as a guest like in other countries in SE Asia or Africa or South America (all own experience) and not being seen as a long-nosed walking wallet is in my opinion not too much expectation...

There are plenty of officials (including politicians like councilors, Brgy officials, tourist officers, etc.) reading DI, so I believe it is not the worst platform to mention stuff. One "important" official even used quotes from here on a discussion about that helmet comedy very recently.

What would help is having intelligent discussions with locals here, and as you can see with your own example in that thread, if one gives valid points, he/she gets answers which are very different to those "go-if-you -don't-like' kids.

3. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Rhoody,

Shouldn't those who do not treat this nice country like sh#$, do something against those who do?
    I agree. Giving awareness about it to the people concerned, specially the Locals, is a must. I emphasize" The People Concerned" Coz it should be them who must know and not Our expected foreign visitors. I'm not trying to hide our dirt but it is of no help telling them about it. This will only drive them away.

Anyway, Rhoody and to all those who cared, thank You and I wish this discussion will enlighten our officials and the community, of the importance of these topic to our welfare and Dumaguete's.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    It certainly would help our officials to have a chat with Mayor Hagedorn, Puerto Princessa. He is a perfect example how things can be done in a "poor" country, with respect to the environment where locals are aware and foreigners welcome.

It is not all perfect, but having much more limited options there, the effort of him and his team (and the population of PP) shows very clear that it can be done in the Philippines.

Not sure if he is a magician or the population there is smarter or what is the reason, but an environment friendly respectful living together is working there...

5. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi again Rhoody,
    I haven't been to Palawan yet but in the true to life story movie of Mayor Hagedorn entitled "Hagedorn", I see that Palawan, because of her distant location from Manila and other major cities, was not a progressive province then during the early 80's. Mayor Hagedorn was the political kingpin before and is still at present. With his vision of preserving the beauty of Palawan particularly Puerto Princesa, the people there were made aware of how important it is to protect the rich natural resources of the province. They made studies and take measures in preserving Palawan's treasure. Palawan is, I think, not overtaken by events such as Population explosion and Urbanization. Thus Palawan continues to be a beauty to behold. I subscribe to your idea of inviting Mayor Hagedorn to give us insights on how to protect our environment. I know that we have a very difficult task ahead specially if we look at the present situation of Dumaguete and the province as a whole. I only wish that there will be an honest to goodness and concerted effort by our officials as well as concerned citizens with regard the restoration of our Environment.

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    so went for a long walk along the boulevard and here's my impressions

-rusted old wire baskets as trash cans are bent and broken and overflowing trash all over the ground
    -trash all over what used to be green grass
    -2 of the the concrete benches are broken and dilapidated. One that broke in half in sendong is still just laying there
    -the smell of raw sewage in the water is just simply foul
    -local beggers use the faucets to bath in. one faucet is broken and has been running water now for 8-9 days?
    -a guy had started a fire on the ricks next to the seawall and was cooking. Nice to walk in the smoke and all
    -2 completely drunk persons laying on the ground mumbling and talking to themselves
    -continual honking of Ceres buses and trucks from the port
    -caught a person just walking along and threw their trash on the sidewalk and I said "hey" and pointed to it and then pointed to the trash can 2 meters to their left and the entire family laughed and grinned.
    and then you can choke on the pollution of this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The island scenery off the coast is great but if this is the focal point for the cities tourism and postcards it's a real pathetic shame.

I couldn't help but to think of the kids playing there all amongst the trash all over the ground and think: this isn't gonna be fixed in this generation.

7. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    OnMyWay, you were in the wrong City

Here is the reality:

from Manila Bulletin 3 days ago: Dumaguete

P2.1 million seems to be very expensive to build a wall and stick some wooden posts into the ground for having a wee ...

8. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Can someone write some sort of a petition from your group/ Expats about the deteriorating conditions of our beloved Boulevard and other areas,their causes and your suggestions, and have it delivered to the City Council. On our part, my part (yes only one local here I think) I could sign it as a support to your cause, I will try my best to gather more signatures from every concerned Dumagueteño. Should come from you guys coz they, the officials will surely not ignore the voice of concern by your group, specially if the city is promoting tourism. Have this petition also delivered to both broadcast and print media.

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
  10. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1