Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Door Lock Installation

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have a new biometric door lock that I'm wanting installed. Looking for a business/tradesman that can get it done properly. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Proper tools are going to be needed to install (no hammer and chisel hack job) as this is a very tall and deep housing that inserts into the door and messing it up will almost certainly result in a janky/sticky lock or the need for a new door. I also have some concerns with the width of my door and the length of the bolts/connecting rod bring too long. This is not a novice job.

PXL_20210601_070419689.jpg

2. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 333
    Is that the type doesn't need a key so the robbers will just take your thumb or eyeball ? :dead:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lol yeah. There is a physical key but it has PIN, finger print scanner and NFC options for the primary unlocking method. User setup to see who came in an when.

4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Wow! That looks like a significant contraption.

In the picture it looks like it has four deadbolts. Is this true?

It looks like an 8" x 6" section of the inside of the door will have to be hollowed out. Will this make the door weaker there?

Did you purchase it online? If so please provide the link. I am looking for something similar. Only one deadbolt will do for me. My door is locally made wood and the deadbolt goes into mountain sand CHB. I realize that anyone can simply kick the door in.

5. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    geeze rye... the local carpenters and wood/cabinet shop guys are very skilled and should be able to extend your door lockset mortise in minutes.

but... not seeing the door, the question is; will the door frame accommodate your new, deep, lockset? if the lock stile is too narrow, a backing plate could be cut into the midrail or a whole new lockset block could be let into the present lock stile.

i've made a few doors in my time and can take a look at it but, iirc, valencia is on a lockdown and i live in sibulan.

pm me if i can be of help.

6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I did order it online. I think this is the lock I bought.
    https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.2QSZQ

I believe this is a Middle Eastern/Chinese design deadbolt as it is quite commonly seen there. I'm not all that concerned with it weakening the actual door as every failure I've experienced here has been the concrete on the door frame breaking away. (Kicking in a door here takes very minimal effort...I once had the concrete on the frame give way when I was just knocking on the door.) The locking mechanism is actual a bit more narrow than what is commonly put in doors here, it is just much taller and deeper. I think it will actually be much stronger than the American style lock.

Yeah, with a hammer and chisel.

The door can handle the lockset if done properly. Mess it up and it will be a new door or a whole lot of wood filler. (I would, of course, go with the much cheaper wood filler.)

It is? I haven't been stopped once.

I can certainly do this myself using the local methods. I have a guy coming Sunday to give it a go with my assistance/supervision. My concern is with what happens when something goes wrong. After making such a large hole in the door you aren't going to get the old lockset back in there without some duct tape and super glue.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Here is one that fits the hole that is already cut in the door.

This way when you move to a new apartment you can simply switch the lock back to the original and take the electronic lock with you to the new place.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...ist.74.14743ecceXo8BL&search=1&freeshipping=1

• Thanks Thanks x 1