Dumaguete Info Search

Finance & Legal Double Billed

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Show Pony, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I bought groceries at Robinson on Friday. Their ATM card reader did not work on either of the two registers they tried to use. I saw on both machines it did not go through so I paid in cash and have the receipt to prove it.
    Today I noticed the exact amount of purchase missing from my bank account.
    Has anyone had similar experiences?
    Where to start, at Robinson or my bank?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Dave, I would suggest Robinson's because the bank's position will probably be that if you put your PIN in, then you own the purchase. I think Robinson's (once showed they double dipped) will offer you a credit for the amount. If not.... steal something, the guards are useless lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    US banks works a bit different. They always side with the customer and will remove any disputed purchases from an account, usually no questions asked. (I could be wrong in assuming that the bank in question is a US bank though.)

My advice would be go to Robinsons first. Take the receipt showing you paid cash and a copy of your online bank record showing you were charged on your card for the exact same purchase. If they refuse to give you a refund or mention any of this nonsense about "credit" tell them you will dispute the charge with your bank and get your money back. If they don't give you a cash refund then go dispute the charge with your bank.

Of course if you are alright with the "credit" then you could take that. (I wouldn't be just if for nothing more than to be a pain in the @ss to them).

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Bank and give them Hell mate, cos this is down to them

5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Show Pony:

I sure hope you get this resolved in a short and easy order.

Please let us know how this gets fixed.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Go to the robinsons office Dave and give them sh*t,this happens so often and it makes me wonder how many notice it.as mentioned give them hell until resolved as I'm sure they ain't going to tell you you've been over charged!

7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The fault is with Robinson's. The bank's job is to protect you from being wrongly charged. As Dustin mentioned, U.S. banks tilt heavily in favor of the customer. This is especially the case with credit cards.

I would start with Robinson's and then go to the bank. You could probably reverse the charge AND get a refund if you wanted. This is the risk that the merchant takes for dealing with plastic (probably saves money even accounting for chargebacks.) I don't know about Robinson's but if small merchants get a lot of chargebacks due to shady dealings or incompetence, then they can get their merchant account yanked.

8. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    Well I did go to Robinson. Their customer service desk was pretty helpful. They photocopied my bank statement and receipt.
    The supervisor said it should be resolved in 24 hours (or so) and the money will be back in my account.
    They couldn't really explain how this happened. The just said it was a terminal error. I'll accept it as an error.
    I asked them if this has ever happened before and they admitted "yes it happens but not very often", I believe there is some truth there.

Thinking back all the ATM screen displayed was "ERROR" and I would have to guess that the link dropped before receiving the transaction code from the bank.
    Without a transaction code the cashier can't "pay the till" so I handed over my cash.
    It never would have been caught but when I went to an ATM today my balance was of a couple thousand pesos.
    Absolutely no idea how many times this has happened before.

What I have learned here is to keep my receipt and keep an eye on my bank balance when there is a failed transaction.

thanks all for the suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    If this doesn't work out well I'll let you know, CAPS LOCKS will be on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I pay cash. Cash is king in the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 3