Dumaguete Info Search

Drivers licence update from lto

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by DavyL200, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Tax refugee

Tax refugee DI Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Hi ya
    Has anyone renewed the license within the last week? Have been told that you have to be at the Robinson office very early, 05:00 just to get your license renewed in a day.

2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My Filipino friend told me today, she was on the way to renew her driving license and need be at LTO 4 am to be among the first in the line, she doesn't want wait there all day, lol. I was at LTO a few weeks ago to pick up my plastic driving license, I get the temporary license in November last year. I was at LTO 6 am, they were already open and inside were around 40 persons waiting. Only one person a the desk, I go there to get a priority number, he said you are a senior citizen and gave me number 1, thank you so much, sir. Happy there is 5 years until next time, it's a nightmare or it can be

• Like Like x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Maybe they just bleed you and smear the blood on the card.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They just ask you what your blood type is there is no testing. You HAVE to give them this info.

You can have a simple blood typing test at most medical laboratories. It is vital to have the correct type on your card in the event of an accident as the wrong blood type may be fatal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I pity the victim who goes to a hospital and the doctor relies on his driver's license to decide what blood to give him. The wrong blood "typed" may be fatal. :clown:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You could verify the blood type on your DL is correct. Also pretty sure they would draw blood and test to make sure they are giving you the right blood type anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    In my smart arse way, that is my entire point.

No professional is going to give me a blood transfusion based on the blood type put on my driver's license (in the Philippines anyway). Even though I carry a card issued by Hi-Precision Diagnostics with my blood type confirmed in large letters, Silliman would not give me a blood transfusion without confirming my blood type (at least they would not do it 3 years ago). So blood type on driver's license is just more bureaucratic BS to give clerks more to do. IMHO of course.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    In fact, not only should they not rely on a blood type written on any document a person carries or any verbal reassurance by that person, they should ALWAYS cross-match the patient's blood with the blood to be given and look for aggregation of red blood cells - except in extreme emergencies, when they give O-.

The ABO and Rhesus blood groups are only two of VERY MANY blood groups and some other (minor) blood groups can be incompatible with donated blood. This has an immediate risk to the health of the patient and/or may cause future problems if further transfusions are required.

I saw a book once on the subject of human blood groups and it was about 10 cm thick - so I looked at it from the outside only. :smile:

It is interesting that people with the most common blood type (O+) are in fact at the greatest risk of receiving a wrong transfusion and those with the rarest group (AB-) are at the least risk. ('Most common' and 'rarest' do not apply to all ethnic groups).

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Speaking of blood donations I'm O- and sometime back there was a post about some little kid desperately needing blood at Silliman. I texted and went down immediately to try and donate. First they thing they said I had to be tested, no problem. Next they said I had to get an agreement with the parents on how much I'd be paid (didn't want anything but to save a life, don't need the money), no problem. Then the doctor said they wouldn't take my blood but just my number incase because they wanted an exact match (umm, O- is the universal donor who can give to anyone but only receive from O-). I questioned a bit further and they said the family couldn't afford the special medication for someone without a matched -/+ (again not an issue). I gave my number to the family and said if they needed to text or call and I'll be back asap.

Pretty crappy what kind of quack doctors we have here. Sorry if off topic.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think this might be the issue I wrote about above: I assume that the child was not O- and so they wanted his/her SPECIFIC blood group type. Using O- on a patient who is not O- is really only for emergency situations. I may be wrong but if I am correct then we should, in fact, praise the professionalism of the doctors.

But no-one can fault you for making such a valuable attempt to help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1