Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Driver's License

1. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm sure they know it but getting them out of the shade and enforcing it is another. Plus the economy here seems to depend on tourism somewhat and I believe the powers that be probably don't want anybody messing with the hand that feeds them so to speak. What I stated is the actual law but whether it is ever enforced is another matter altogether. I have not seen Traffic Management or LTO do anything since I got here to Dumaguete other than slow traffic to a crawl when they try to coordinate it at busy intersections where IMPO they fail miserably. Other areas of the country especially Luzon that is another matter altogether the Pulis (Kotong Cops) seem to be everywhere.

Edit to add they also have laws that state you are supposed to wear long pants, leather shoes and wear a helmet on a motorcycle in the PI but none of these are enforced locally either. But they are in other parts of the country.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Are they forcing "foreigners" to take the test now?

I always thought that if you held a driver's license from a country where people had half a brain while behind the wheel you were good to go. I never took any test or had to get a student/learners permit, they just asked for the fee and told me to come back tomorrow to pick up the license (then 6 months later they actually had it ready for me).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So, they are back AGAIN doing drug tests now? They seem to not be able to make up their mind. They abandoned that nation wide last year. Then region 7 implemented their own requirement and start taking them again. Then, as of this summer they stopped again. And now, they are back on?
    I guess the one selling the drug tests to the test centers have a good friend in LTO :-D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    i got my driving licence not at the local LTO, i got it at the doctors office opposite. drug test, eye test (2 big numbers on a A4 paper), pay this pay that, first i got a student driving licence, after four weeks the non-professional, officialy as a philipino citizen - guess sth somewhere went wrong, but, as usual, it doesent matter. as long as i have the drivers licence. since i got it, i never went into any traffic control.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I got that story for more than 6 months with my last license. Just carry around the receipt (I laminated it lol) and accept that is how the Philippines works. The LTO don't care, the police don't care......therefore, I don't care. :rolleyes: I recommend laminating all of your official receipts (BoI, LTO, BIR), everyone gets a good kick out of it and you don't have to worry about it getting worn out. :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Go to the LTO and tell them you want a license.
    • Explain to them that you are not a temporary tourist and will be there longer than 90 days.
    • Fill out the paperwork.
    • LTO sends you somewhere nearby to take a "physical" (blood pressure?, eye exam, maybe color blindness test and depending on the way the wind is blowing maybe a drug test.)
    • Go back to LTO with paperwork.
    • Pay them. (Should be P1200ish.)
    • Get receipt.
    • Take picture for license.
    Then:
    • Wait awhile.
    • Sorry sir, license machine is broken.
    • Wait awhile sir.
    • Machine still broken.
    • Wait awhile sir.
    • Machine still broken.
    • Come back after lunch sir.
    • Machine still broken.
    • Wait awhile sir.
    • Sorry sir, come back tomorrow.
    • Come back tomorrow.
    • Machine in Manila getting fixed. (You see license machine working next to guy telling you this.)
    • Sorry, come back next week sir.
    • Machine in Manila getting fixed. (No....it's not.)
    • Sorry, come back next month sir.
    • Machine fixed. (It never went anywhere.)
    • Sorry sir, no plastic cards for machine, come back tomorrow. (They tell you to move aside so they can hand new license to another person.)
    • Sorry sir, no plastic cards for machine, come back next week. (You see the stack of plastic ID cards next to the machine.)
    • Sorry sir, no plastic cards for machine, come back next month. (Still making licenses for people.)
    • Sorry sir, no plastic cards for machine, on order from manila. Next week sir. (ARRRRGGHH! You see the goddamn machine spitting out licenses right next to the guy!)
    • Give up. Drive legally with official receipt showing you paid for license.
    • Get stopped at checkpoint, show police receipt. Cop asks why no license.
    • "Sorry, out of stock sir."
    • Cop smiles and sends you on your way.
    6 months or so later:
    • Pick up license. (That was likely made the day you took the picture.)
    • Repeat every 2 years.
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy. :banghead:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My wife is a Filipino and never drove in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    JP, I presented my valid US driver's license. They photocopied the passport and driver's license. That took place at Robinson's LTO office.

The main LTO office wanted a copy of the entry in my US passport verifying that I had been in the country less than 90 days. I had to go down the street to an internet cafe and get a copy, 2 pesos.

They took my blood pressure which I thought was a bit odd. Good thing they took it then rather than wait until I had been waiting for 3 hours at the main LTO office while they repaired the cameras. :smile: The wait gave me a chance to work on my patience! :D They gave me the license and I was on my way.

I also met a very nice man and his daughter. They are Filipino and he had lived in US for 19 years and worked as a physical therapist. He is Tagalog, wife is therapist also and still in US. Really a nice guy. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014