Dumaguete Info Search

Driver's License

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Cletus, Oct 29, 2014.

1. BobBski

BobBski DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is a U.S./home country Driver's license recognized when you first arrive and want to rent a vehicle?

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Yes but Legally for only 90 days, be careful if asked how long you have been here, Whilst Hire Places have no actual right to ask for it, I had a mate that let them see his Passport and of course his date of entry was seen :wink: he was denied the Rental.

JP:whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobBski

BobBski DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thanks JP

4. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    When I lived in Bacolod for 5 years, I kept my Philippines driver's license up to date at all times, but it has now expired.

This time, I am in the Philipines for just a 7 month period of time ... so it is not worth the trouble for me to go to LTO and renew it.

So, it's now driving my car on an expired license this time around. I'm not much worried about it.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :jawdrop: Yeah! That's OK Til..............:facepalm:

6. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Normally YES. If you have a valid drivers license from a country that drives on same side of the road as here (like USA and others etc) you just provide proof of valid drivers license and you get a PI "Non-Professional license". If your license from wherever allows motorcycle you get same here also. If you don't have valid license recognized by PI you must apply for license, take a written test in Filipino) and pass drivers proficiency in car. So, politely asking what the requirements are (and no matter how silly you think they are just do them) and you will qualify for license.

Note if you are from a commonwealth country (UK, Australia etc.) you are supposed to take the written exam to verify you understand the rules of the road for the Philippines (note: this test is in Filipino) and also execute a performance of driving proficiency (ie. physical drivers test). But for the proper consideration( ie. bribe, payoff, consideration or whatever you choose to call it) you can qualify for the license no questions asked and all requirement waived if you ask politely and don't act arrogant.

Note: Foreigners are NOT allowed to hold a professional drivers license in the PI. That is reserved for Filipino's who are driving a livery service, Taxi, Bus, truck etc. I know many foreigners may incorrectly have a Professional License because they trusted a fixer to get it for them but they were misled and ripped off and this just lets to the local Police know that you paid a bribe (consideration) for you to receive a fake license and you are fair game for them to extort...ad infinitum!

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I thought they treated motorcycles as the lowest level of driving on a license. On the back of my license it goes in this order:
    1. Motorcycle/Motorized Tricycles
    2. Vehicle up to 4500KG
    3. Vehicle above 4500KG.
    I never had a motorcycle license in the US (and never even drove one in the US) but my license has both 1 and 2....and I didn't ask for it or pay anything more than the official fees written on the poster in the LTO. But then again they never asked to see my US license (I don't recall them even asking if I had a valid US license). lol
    I would question if the police/LTO even know that rule. Many don't even know the basic rules of the road.

8. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm sure they know it but getting them out of the shade and enforcing it is another. Plus the economy here seems to depend on tourism somewhat and I believe the powers that be probably don't want anybody messing with the hand that feeds them so to speak. What I stated is the actual law but whether it is ever enforced is another matter altogether. I have not seen Traffic Management or LTO do anything since I got here to Dumaguete other than slow traffic to a crawl when they try to coordinate it at busy intersections where IMPO they fail miserably. Other areas of the country especially Luzon that is another matter altogether the Pulis (Kotong Cops) seem to be everywhere.

Edit to add they also have laws that state you are supposed to wear long pants, leather shoes and wear a helmet on a motorcycle in the PI but none of these are enforced locally either. But they are in other parts of the country.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    This has got to be the funniest post I have ever read. Thanks, I had a great laugh. I had my licence confiscated on me a few years back the the helmet law mafia. I never paid the fine. I will never go their process again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1