Dumaguete Info Search

Dumag, alternatives

Discussion in 'Other Destinations in the Philippines' started by onlymichael, Aug 30, 2012.

1. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I came to the P.I. to SAVE money and start or buy a small biz.
    It is now quite obvious that Dumag is not a good place for that.
    Anyone here lived in smaller cities in Mindanao that can compare?
    Very little comprehensive info on the web comparing smaller cities on C.O.L.
    I need to be within 1-2 hours of a larger city though.

2. imre

imre DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes there is but You have to put up with polution and noise(from tricycles).I came from Mangagoy(Bislig city,Mindanao).Rents are very low(6000 for 3 Br. all furnished).No good restaurants,very good market,very cheap swimming pool(20 peso).You can save money for sure.Closest cyti is Davao(5 hours by car or 30 minuts by plaine if it will fly again).Lot of beautiful girls in the colleges.It is dangeres because the communists might contact You if they think they can extort money from You.(forgive my spelling-I did not go to school for english)

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that is possible in the PI, if you are willing to invest about double time and effort than in a real country. nerves of steel also required unless you find a business where you do not need to deal with the local working attitude.

other than that, you might not find what you want in the Philippines.

4. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Then you're in for a hard lesson at the school of hard knocks.....

Keep us all posted after your first business venture...

5. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I learned a quick way to live in the Philippines with a small fortune.
    Just have to make sure you come over here with a large one.

6. barkada

barkada DI Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If I hadnt settled in Dumaguete already and was moving to Philippines now I would probably choose Northern Mindanao. C.D.O. is quite a lively happening place and not too many foreigners there although the numbers are increasing . If you want to be safe and more out of the way try visit Tagum , Butuan or Iligan .

7. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    thanks to you an Barkada for good replies. Yes, it's always a balancing act, trading cheap prices for other negatives such as poor shopping, meager business opportunities. To to other naysayers, I say this: I am well aware of the negatives of doing biz in the P.I. and my Filipina partner will of course be the owner, but these are considerations I must live with in hopes of generating some income here, plus I do not like being idle.

8. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you tried Samal Island (or officially, Island Garden city of Samal). There's a number of expats here and there and crossing the straight on a ferry brings you back to Davao city on a jiffy. Tagum city, also part of Davao del Norte like Samal city, is also an interesting place.

A bit further out, but of possible interest is Mati.

9. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the additional suggestions, I will research Samal Island, Tagum. Tagum is a fairly good sized city and might be cheaper than Davao, some complaints lately Davao is getting expensive, but not as bad as Cebu.

10. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, Davao city is HUGE. The suburbs are considerably cheaper and cleaner, but it isn't the same like ten years back. Puerto Princesa today is like Davao City about ten years ago, except that they're quite expensive having acquired the reputation as a 'tourist town'.

But then again, 'expensive' is relevant, so it's best if can you define your terms.