Dumaguete Info Search

dumaguete a MECCA for Expats?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by JoeMabini, Dec 21, 2010.

1. boomerang

boomerang DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    I'm from Fryslân, Netherlands

2. OP
    OP
    JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Jack,

I believe that once you have traveled a bit your accent from your place of origin slips away a little at a time. Myself, I was born in Los Angeles, but have lived many places including my proclaimed home-state of Nevada and as I traveled I picked up and lost accents along the way. I spent time in Kentucky, Indiana, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oregon, and Texas and my accent shows it as it is hard to pick out. most people think I am from the Midwest. My mother was born in Tennessee and my father was born in Kentucky, so that adds to it I suppose.

How many Filipino phrases have you found yourself using such as "Class A", "Social - pronounced "Sosh ee al", or others? Each one of these words we adopt eat away at our native accent.

I know a guy here that was born and raised in Louisiana and I had to ask him where he was from because his accent is unique to him. He has been here 20 years already and he does not sound like a Cajun anymore. I can easily identify someone from Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, Tennessee and other places based on certain phrases and nuances of their accent. For instance you can spot someone from Oregon if they say words like "Spendy", "Gypo" or High-grade". "You-uns" is a dead giveaway for Tennessee, using the invisible "R" in words like "wash" and omitting the "R" in words like "car" tells me someone is from Boston or a Cape Codder.

Next time someone asks you what state you are from, give them something something interesting like "I am from Six Gun, Texas"

-Joe

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm from the other side of the pond,Manchester,England.

4. Dennis

Dennis DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes but are there more single women then men or do you need to find one else where before moving to Dumaguete?

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Either way!

:wink: Hello Dennis, Either way there will be a lady for you I guess here in DGTE, Depending what you are looking For of course.

I take it you are from the US? Is Tampa your origional town?

Jack P. :smile:

6. joec

joec DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gypo

Gypo Nolan?

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Me thinks I'll move to San Diego, is that also crime free :rolleyes:

8. OP
    OP
    JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    As in a gypo outfit or gypo logging company. In this context it would be small company. I guess the root word is gypsy.

Oregon has it's own language

9. OP
    OP
    JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I think the two people that posted the letters to the editor about it not being safe to ride a trike etc are over-dramatized. I myself have only felt uneasy once in Dumaguete. That was three years ago. My daughter had just been born and we were staying at the OK pension house as we did not live here yet. It was about 9pm and I had to go to Mercury Drug from the OK and the street was dark from there to Mercury. There was a lot of street activity and it was dark. In retrospect, it was mostly my unfamiliararity that made me uncomfortable.

I am concerned about the vigilantism here and the value people put on life. A few thousand pesos can secure the services of a hitman. By the crosses and candles in the street in front of pool halls and native bars, one can see there are quite a few "hits" going on at night and I do not want myself or my family caught in the crossfire so we don't go roaming at night. We go on the boulevard for dinner, but we don't go where the "action" is.

Even in the safest of places, one needs to exercise caution.

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Jimeve, I lived in the San Diego area for 14 yrs before moving to the Philippines 4 yrs ago. It is not crime free, has its dangerous pockets like all large cities, but aside from being expensive, it is rated a desirable place to live with arguably the best climate in North America. There is a nice size filipino community in the area, given it has been a large naval base and many filipino navy guys stayed there after world war 2. Most people live in the surrounding suburbs which are very nice. The beaches are great, good surfing areas, and the education system from elementary to college is rated high. But retiring in that area is expensive, so I am here.