Dumaguete Info Search

Emergency Dumaguete Airport/ Million peso tree/ overnight parking

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by contrail, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Landed at Dumaguete on CP from the land side today, had to abort first attempt at landing and try again. The landing was very rough and I knew we were going to be well down the runway before we were able to coast. This f*****g tree situation is ridiculous. Surely PAL & CP can stump up the money. This is just typical of the people in positions of power here, they just talk and talk, but no action. What calculation do we use for planes sinking at the end of the runway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    With the wings or with the wings ripped off?

3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Going back a few posts about speed.
    I think the other reason to use a common unit of measurement is you wouldn't want some pilot confusion mph and km/h. It could result in quite a mess at the end of the runway. If you look at the image of airspeed indicators you will see multiple units being indicated.

I lean toward knots because there is rule which states that the aircraft must be traveling at less than 250 KNOTS below 10000 ft in the USA. Technically, it's KIAS or knots indicated airspeed.

Here is one man's opinion of why.

Why is the speed of aircraft, ships, and submarines measured in knots instead of in mph or km/h? - Quora

The short version is "because it makes navigation easier." Since that's likely not helpful, here's the long version:

Knot is shorthand for nautical miles per hour (the origin of the term comes from old methods of measuring speed that involved trailing ropes with knots in them behind ships, but today it means one nautical mile per hour). Saying "I'm travelling at 5 knots" means that after one hour of travelling at that speed, I will have moved 5 nautical miles.

This is precisely like miles per hour or kilometers per hour. Therefore, asking why nautical speed measurements are done in knots is effectively asking why nautical miles are used instead of simply miles or kilometers.

And that reason is because of navigation. Ships use the latitude and longitude system of global navigation. One nautical mile is 1 minute of arc on any meridian. Let me explain that in English.

A meridian is any line of longitude. On the picture below, that means any of the vertical lines.

[​IMG]

Crossing through each meridian are lines of latitude (the horizontal lines). Latitudes are measured using the degree unit of measurement since the cross-section of the Earth is roughly circular (see picture below). Fractions of degrees are measured in minutes. 1 minute is 1/60 degrees.

[​IMG]

So, getting back to nautical miles, 1 nautical mile is 1 minute, or 1/60 degrees, along a line of longitude. Or, to put it another way, 1 nautical mile is 1 minute of latitude.

This is useful because nautical charts are marked with latitude and longitude lines.

upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.GIF [​IMG]

(click to enlarge the below image and look at the borders)
    upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.PNG [​IMG]

So, using a nautical chart and the correlation between nautical miles, fractions of latitude, and the convenient marks on the edges of charts, navigation becomes much simpler. Finding distances, calculating speeds, and locating your position all boils down to measuring distances on the chart using dividers and the math formula: distance = speed x time

Long story short, we use knots because they correspond to a certain amount of latitude which makes navigation easier.

upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.GIF upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.PNG upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.GIF upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.GIF upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.PNG upload_2016-4-25_13-29-22.GIF

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Well, we seem to be so far off the Topic of the "Tree" (me Included) and with no new indications of the 'Trees' fate
    I think this has run it's course so For Now *CLOSED*

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.