Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Angler

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Mike Alano, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Hi, I am Mike Alano of Dumaguete. I have been enjoying Dumagute fishing grounds for several years now. My type of fishing is baitcasting with lures, inshore trolling and some bottom fishing aboard my personal pumpboat named "january". I am a core group member and representative of Negros Island and Panay of the Filipino Anglers Organization (Filipino Anglers Organization of the Philippines).

Please check out my channel YouTube - mikealano1's Channel to see some of my fishing trips.

If any of you guys want some fishing related info, please feel to email me at
    mikealano@gmail.com or contact me at 0917 704 6886 or through this forum.

[​IMG]
    trolling

[​IMG]
    bottom fishing

[​IMG]
    baitcasting

I can also put a visiting angler to some freshwater snakeheads (channa striatta) within Negros Oriental.
    [​IMG]
    in the pic is my fishing buddy Ja

I'm an avid supporter of Catch and Release but I also don't mind bringing home a few for the table. Happy fishing.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Mike,
    Welcome to DI, great to have you on board Hope you enjoy your stay here :smile:.
    We had quite some requests about fishing here before, where you might be able to help quite a bit... (of course without commercial interests :wink: )

My daddy was into fishing back in Germany when I was tiny and I always went out with him early in the morning. In Germany you need a license for that sport and I could never get myself up to study for catching food and ended up studying the ready to eat menus in Restaurants :wink:

cheers

rhoody

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    No Fisherman!

:D Hi Mike, Jack P. here saying hello and welcome to DI! I have never been Nor, I guess will be, A Fisherman But I have to say they look an impressive Catch. Enjoy the Forum, as Rhoody said, You will Have Plenty of Qustions asked. Seems we have quite a few here, with an Interest in the Art. I say Art because someone once told me, it IS an Art.:o

Jack P.:smile:

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Hello Mike, your gig is looking good Man. I'm sure you'll catch a fisherman real soon.

5. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome.

I would be very happy to answer to the best of my abilities regarding fishing in the Philippines (especially Negros and Siquijor), where to acquire gears and if asked, I would humbly share tips that worked for me.

@ rhoody .. yes would be glad to help. Although I hate to disappoint that I am working hard and closely with the city and provincial government to make Negros as a sportfishing destination ( I don't know if it falls in the "commercial" category tho :smile: ...) anyways I would be very happy to be the direct bridge for DI forumers/anglers and fish :D.

@Jack .. yes they say its an art (an art to fool a fish to bite hehehe) but for me personally I see fly fishing as the high art of fishing... I don't know how yet, but would love to meet those who do. :D

@Manza ... It would be great to catch real anglers soon butI'll try hadr to get you guys to be converts soon hahahaha

Hope to one day meet with you guys and maybe share with you a fresh catch for the barbie.

Tight lines,

Mike

6. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Let's gear up and go.

I have been fishing most of my 64 years on this planet. Was even a fishing guide in Michigan at age 14 - 16 years old. In Alaska for about 1 & 1/2 years of the 35 years I was up there. The only reason I have not been fishing here is because I had no idea of where and how to get started. I am really interested in getting started again.
    Keep your bate fresh and your line wet!

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Mike, welcome aboard the DI. May I ask you a question about eating sashimi from local fish. I live in Bacong and as you may know there are many street stands that around 5:00pm sell fish. What local fish are the safest and best for sashimi? I had Tanigue sashimi at a local resort and like it. Thanks

8. ilovedum

ilovedum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Mike. In 2005 I brought over a boat load of saltwater Rods and Reels and the tackle to go with it and for 6 years has basically sat untouched except for annual maintenance. I am from South Florida and we take catching fish for granted. Dophin, jacks, snapper, sails, grouper, cobia, are all on a days catch menu depending on season. I thought I would have the same benefits here when I moved here and I was sorely dissapointed but It was definetely nice to see your photos. It's always fun to catch jacks which seem to be plentiful here so maybe I can go out with you one day. Would be nice to use my fishing gear. Hey, I was wondering about extended trips in the South where the Tuna migrate and other big fish lurk. Anyone think about putting on fishing expeditions there.

9. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    @ Grand... I love to listen to experienced anglers... it always feels good and informative...everytime. Hope to fish and chat soon.

@ Pat ... I suggest buying early from the market also it would be convenient if you have a friends in a fishing village nearby and get fresh catches all the time (they usually come in 6 - 7:30 am) after spending the dawn out at sea.

I love tunas for sashimi...especially dogtooth tuna.
    this one here that I caught is still a juvie , it fought better but tasted best on sashimi... just make sure to bleed it well and flash freeze properly.
    [​IMG]

@ilovedum -- Florida WOOHHOOOO probably the sportfishing capital of the world hehehe.
    to be honest fishing holes might not be as abundant here but there are spots that can produce more than the usual. Albeit still there are always times when the fishing gods just smirk and make me look like a fool with a stick and line standing in my pumpboat in the middle of the sea under the blistering heat and they enjoy watching me go home empty handed. :D

If you are around... I can get you in touch with local fishing boats "basnig"
    [​IMG][/quote]
    (jumpoff at bayawan city)... expect trolling and deep sea fishing for sailfishes, marlins and tuna. 1 week trip.

pics of a fellow filipino anglers org member who took the trip.
    [​IMG]
    btw in this pic they did not bother to hang the 15kg and lighter fishes.

10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Hey mike
    Would luv to meet up for a few sessions when i get there,am shipping my ocean kayak prowler angler over with me.
    Quite fancy having a go for tuna if at all possible as reckon could be quite interesting and a real good fight!!!
    Mainly fish for sea bass here in the uk but average size only around 3-5kg but they put up a good fight.