Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Angler

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Mike Alano, Apr 25, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Davy, that's a nice plastic boat you got there... I'm not a paddler as I am more comfortable looking for riverbanks and cast standing up. When your boat reaches manila... i'll put you i touch with friends who can bring you to Pantabangan (largest lake in the phils) for LMB if you like.

For big sized tuna, the best bet for that is probably in Sipalay. I haven't been there but heard from an acquaintance that fishing for 50+ kilo YFTs there is pretty awesome. Here in Dumaguete it's average 2-3 kl skipjacks and 3-5 kilo trevallies and good sized spanish macks if you like trollin spoons. All of this I'm sure you can easily do aboard your yak....you can catch bigger ones if you get lucky tho or you can get skunked too of course. I just don't know how you can chase them with your yak... on my end i use my outrigger boat with 5.5hp Honda inboard motor to chase boils and also to chase the seagulls...they bring me to fish frenzies too. Would love to meet if you're in town... just holler.

Cheers,

Mike

2. ilovedum

ilovedum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mike, Now that's what I'm talking about. Those are pics of fish worth pursuing!!! You have the particulars on the trips. PM me the details or post them here.

Attached Files:

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Cheers Mike but yak getting shipped to cebu and going to collect from there as buying a place in Duma,i did spot a shoal of something just off the boulavard one eve but not sure waht it was! Might get myself a sail for the yak as easier on the arms or get a tow from a pump boat but hey we will see,the only thing we got over here like tuna is mackeral which are in abundance here at moment and good eating fresh.Looks like i will need to get myself some heavier tackle as only use light spinning stuff here for bass,poppers and small lures.
    Anyway i think it will be good to start fishing for something smaller to start as seen a couple of vids of people catching big yft's and it took them about 4hrs to land them :smile:

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Welcome aboard! I've done a lot of fishing in Mexico for YFT and assorted other species as I am from Southern California. We are spoiled here with good fishing! Glad to see there are fish locally! How far, on average, do you go out when you go fishing? 5km? 10km? 20? 50?

You might enjoy these fishing websites:

http://www.bloodydecks.com

http://www.976Tuna.com

5. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Hi sir, wow a true bloodydecks angler :smile:...I read about Southern Cali sportfishing and they just have about the best fishing in the world too. You are right, Southern cali is also a world leader in sportfishing just like florida, I've a friend in San Diego and he surf fishes a lot and easily picks out good fish from the shore. The licensing and regulations are in place and that turns the place into an angling paradise, I wish I could make a dent of a difference here in our city too after I try to convince some officials to put some regulations especially dragnets and trawlers from others cities and mindanao to not fish/approach our waters without permit (I know it's a long shot, but it's worth the chance.)

I enjoy keeping track of the websites you gave, been tracking that before too....I dont have the gear and the boat to go after those beauties yet :smile:

As for your question, I enjoy estuary fishing on foot and I only fish inshore on my boat. When I am out, I stay on average 3km max from shore. My gears, boat, and safety equipment are just not up to task to go further. Although I occasionally troll to Sumilon and back on a good weather day.
    Here is a pic of my tiny boat, my baby "January" (good for 2 but best for solo hunting).
    [​IMG]

Are you fishing Dumaguete waters too? See you in the water soon.

Cheers,

Mike :smile:

6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Mike,

Nice pictures. I'll be in town next month and would enjoy going after some snakehead. I sent you an email also.

Shawn

7. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi ,

I have never been after fish as big as tuna etc, but i would love the chance!, but i'm up for ANY fishing , so if anyone gets a trip arranged i for one would be up for it.I know that there are a lot of people around here that want to fish, but no suitable boat !!.

Regards Alan .........frustrated x fisherman

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I haven't yet, but I did ship some of my nice light and medium tackle over.

9. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    @ Shawn -- Sure bro... I can put you on some 2-3 kilo snakeheads... way too much fun on an UL or light spinning / baitcasting setup. they go gaga over spinnerbaits and spinning pogy....you can try topwater frogs... crazy strikes. Just poke for my attention when you're in town.

@ Fozz... I am working hard to get a big and safe party boat for rent that can accommodate 6-10 anglers and if I do, lets talk about it and maybe go in a group to split the cost.

@ Knowdafish -- let me know when you wanna try the light ones, i know a spot in zamboanguita with good sized mangrove jacks...fun with subsurface lures or poppers.

Happy fishing everyone...I just came back from siquijor for a business trip... casted from the pier while waiting for the delta boat back home to dumaguete. Caught a small mamsa (jack) on a rapala subwalk 09 just in time when the boat arrived.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Sir, I'll PM you the details and costing soon... have to get in touch with my contact in bayawan. There must be some adjustments due to fuel increase but I'm sure that won't be a problem if the fishing is good. I'll also ask if when the best times to fish in this season.

P.S. looks like you got it covered with the gears in the pics. Fish with you soon.

Mike

• Like Like x 1