Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Angler

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Mike Alano, Apr 25, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Quicky with Wifey

[youtube]nGG5MDxBEvk[/youtube]

After bringing our kid to school, my wife Jana said she missed eating a snapper. I asked her if she wants to go with me so we can catch one and she surprisingly agreed (she is scared of the sun). Anyway by 9am we were off to one of my fave spots, in short I had a wonderful time fishing and had a good time bonding with her, good thing the fishing did not disappoint so I went home a happy man and her a proud wife. We ended our fishing trip just in time to pick our Isabella again from school by 11am.

Rod: Lemax SlimMax BC 2pc 6'6" 8-20lb
    Reel: Pinnacle Extant Pro
    Line: 30lb Suffix with 24" 12lb Invisiline fluorocarbon
    Lure: Shimano Triple Impact
    Fish: 1.58lb mangrove snapper

Thank you.

Jana for the good timing of filming the strike. Just in time you dropped your pocketbook and caught the action.

and to Gipsy Kings - Forever (Instrumental) for the score

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Nice catch Mike, and good job on the video!

3. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0

Thanks bro! Yup, good thing wifey timned the vid well for the strike. It's rare to video on strike so I'm happy she caught it on cam. :D

4. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Siquijor with Dave and friends

Had the opportunity to fish with Dave and friends at Siquijor, it was fun and we will be doing it again. Caught with Rapalas and a YoZuri. New fishing buddies, weeeeeeeee!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It was great to get out mike,only thing I caught was a sunburn neck but hey next time! But that mamsa tasted good mate,ta

6. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Nice catch all. I am curious, with all the various crab species I've seen in the markets. How is the crabbing in the Duma area? I grew up crabbing in Maryland and Florida both hand lining and using non-commercial traps. I LOVE to steam and eat crabs.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Most species of crabs that you see in the markets here are farm raised (aquaculture).

8. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Another result of past overfishing?....:mad:

9. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    We left Dumaguete 1st thing in the morning of Saturday...first day we swam with whale sharks at Oslob, Cebu and did some stunts 500 meters in the sky at Crown Regency Cebu, next day was another fun-filled day that was punctuated with a cuda fest at Papa Kits.

Caught 5 and lost 3.

I also met with Mr. Kenneth Sato of Cebu Kayak Anglers and Sport Fishing Club of Cebu who gave a sackful of clothes as donation for the Sendong victims of Dumaguete. I will deliver the shirts tomorrow at the Dumaguete's local relief station.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Mr Kenneth Sato for the support.

Happy fishing.

Below is the video report.

[video=youtube;jWysg0LlQtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWysg0LlQtI[/video]

10. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    I would like to thank DI and one of its angler/members who took the time to privately message me and enlighten me with proper Catch and Release.

Below is the courteous mail I received and I will just post it in public to be a guide for proper CnR to those who are interested and for guidance.

----

Hi Mike!

Another great video! Good job! Regarding catch and release, if you are going to release a fish and want it to live to be caught another day, please do not let it rest or flop around on the ground! Believe it or not, many a released fish will die from bacterial infections or fungus infections due to being mishandled in this manner. I am from California and the fishing boats that one pays to go out on and catch too many species of fish often encourage catch and release, but ONLY if it is done correctly. The California Department of Fish and Game also encourages this. Both educate anglers not to let a fish touch the deck of a boat, land, or a pier. The proper, and often easiest way, is to grab the hook with pliers and shake the fish off the hook without touching it while holding it over water. If you must handle it do it with wet hands or even a wet towel to protect the fishes slime coat and scales. NEVER touch a fishes gills that you plan to release. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work and great fishing!

----

Thank you again sir.