Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Angler

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Mike Alano, Apr 25, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Island Fishing: Dorado

[video=youtube_share;Z2zH77RsBKg]http://youtu.be/Z2zH77RsBKg[/video]

My friend and I, decided to make use of our Sunday (April 22, 2012) hunting down Dorados / Mahi Mahi south of the island after Siaton.

Caught 3 and lost 4, the dodos gave us an aerial acrobatic show.

Fun day!

---------

Big Thanks to Dave Cobley for letting us borrow his waterproof Kodak Playsport!

2. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Very nice Mike.....I miss the sweet sound of a screaming reel.....maraming maraming salamat.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Very cool! Thanks for posting the video! Now we just need some local Tuna and Wahoo to go with the Dorados!

4. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Thanks Tom and Know... Big Game Tuna fishing for now is also in my wishlist but other than I still have to save for whew! EXPENSIVE tackle to battle those brutes... the only way to get to them is with a captain of a tuna vessel that I befriended..but the catch is, since they are a commercial boat, they are out at sea for 15 days on average...and I can't do 15days.

The moment I can get hold of a tuna stik and a reel for the "big boys"... I will search for someone who has a fast boat... I got the coordinates and the contacts in nearby islands for safety mooring in worst case scenarios.

All of this has to be next year when I will have saved for the gear. (Hope the Mayans were wrong or else I will fail chasing my first big YFT. O-| )

Anyway, here is a mock "trailer" I did the previous weekend. All clips taken during our Siquijor scouting.

Island Fishing will be a compilation of video clips of fishing and having a good time in the Philippines. Stay tuned.

[video=youtube_share;4WW7YATFRy8]http://youtu.be/4WW7YATFRy8[/video]

5. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    [video=youtube_share;STKrkSzpc2w]http://youtu.be/STKrkSzpc2w[/video]

I woke up early and with a mission. I took my January to Sumilon Island (14km from Dumaguete) to troll 2 Rapala Divebaits... I did 4 circles around the island and had just one missed strike.

The night before I asked Jun (my mechanic/friend) to catch some bait for me just in case...and that just in case did come. To possibly prevent the looming no-fish day, I proceeded to Plan B: bottomfish and do a hailmary drift with the octopus cutbait.

Luckily Poseidon smiled down and granted me a couple of common silver trevs. Morning fishing saved. :D Back by noon.

Total distance traveled plus trolling
    Fuel consumed 3.8 liters only :D

6. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I sold all my big game tuna rods and reels just last year! Calstars and Seekers, all with roller guides, and a Penn International 50SW and an Accurate! You should have hit me up back then! hehe

I'm down to "medium" rated rods and reels, but all my rods are still in the U.S. in a 4" plastic pipe awaiting shipment here!

7. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I sold all my big game tuna rods and reels just last year! Calstars and Seekers, all with roller guides, and a Penn International 50SW and an Accurate! You should have hit me up back then! hehe

I'm down to "medium" rated rods and reels, but all my rods are still in the U.S. in a 4" plastic pipe awaiting shipment here!

Keep the vids coming! Great job!

8. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    awww snap! :P

Anyway, if and when your medium rated goodies arrive, hope to do some fishing with you.

Happy fishing!

9. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    [video=youtube;S3IMA6F1qO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3IMA6F1qO0[/video]

My buddy Tbang and I decided to do a quick day trip to our dorado fishing grounds. We sailed 2 hours on an outrigger pumpboat stopping midway to catch bait. The weather decided to wet and dry us several times during this outing.

We caught a total of 5 dorados and agreed to call it a day.

We had a double strike while my buddy scrambled for his GoPro headcam...mild panic attack :D

(For Dorado Fishing Guide Trips, please don't hesitate to call or text 0917 704 6886 - Mike)

10. ilovedum

ilovedum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have some equipment I would like to dispose of. Perfect for the fishing here. Thanks
    View attachment 8473

Attached Files: