Dumaguete Info Search

Dumaguete Angler

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Mike Alano, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Thanks for all the great pics and videos Mike! They should remove any doubt that there are fish to be caught off Negros! :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Mike Alano DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Thank you knowdafish, I am happy to know that my thread is helpful and knowing that it is being appreciated is worth posting more here. I have to agree that lots of possible and obvious fishing spots in the vicinity is not really in its prime here in Negros or anywhere in the PI that's why I'm trying to lobby some fisheries laws that are similar to the west but it's a struggle. Altho as part of the sport, hunting for honeyholes is one of the fun and sometimes frustrating part...but when you find that "hole" it can be sweet. :smile: (if u know what i mean hehe) :o

this one was caught casting from the pier a few hours ago in one of my fave holes

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    [video=youtube;8RXEg1ZqXV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RXEg1ZqXV4[/video]

This video was taken Tuesday night and this morning, I rushed to sea after work yesterday and decided to go night fishing for squid then go for baitfish by morning. I was out fishing by 10pm and squidfished till 1, the sea was gentle and I slept well for a few hours on the pumpboat, resumed fishing at 4am and was back in the city by 9.

The stars at night were amazing and I was late for work.

4. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Cool stuff Mike! What was the larger silver fish you caught at night? It was kind of hard to see it and make it out.

5. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    scabbardfish

It's a scabbardfish KDF, :smile:

it's a nocturnal feeding monsterlike fish
    like this
    [​IMG]

6. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've seen them for sale at the fish market, but it looks as though there isn't much meat on them? Are they any good to eat? To catch? They remind me somewhat of a barracuda.

7. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0

Haven't tasted this fish and not really keen to do so. you are right, it doesn't heard
    they make great dried fish. They are weaker than a cuda, it's a sloppy but still interesting fight.

8. Last Call

Last Call DI Junior Member

Physicist
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Cooking Scabbard

The Chinese call it belt fish. It doesn't have scales so they just cut it into 3" pieces salt it and fry it in oil. The Italians filet it. You only get 1/2 inch filets with the skins still on it. They put breadcrumbs and sliced tomatoes and bake it.

9. OP
    OP
    Mike Alano

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Spent Saturday morning guiding guest angler Aaron Patrick from Atlanta, GA for a snakehead fishing tour.

He got one of his snakies snagged in underwater branches and the battle to land the fish called for reinforcements from both land and water. :D

[video=youtube;hWCLc_5R8R4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCLc_5R8R4[/video]

10. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Cool video Mike! What pound test were you guys using? That is a BEAUTIFUL pond! [​IMG] Where do they get the water for it? Spring fed?

Kayak assisting is cheating! :smile: Is there a lot of "structure" in that pond? What else is there to catch there?